Feeling physically weak

jenha

I'm on day 15 and have been feeling great, except for one thing...I've been feeling physically weak. I have always exercised regularly and have been strong and in good shape. Now I'm noticing serious muscle fatigue when I workout. I went for a run last night and was struggling. My friend pushed me to finish...it was only 3 miles, my typical minimum. Today, my quads are really sore and that is something that has rarely happened to me in the past, unless I hadn't run in a long time. What can I be doing to help this issue? I want to get back to feeling strong and capable.

My typical meals include:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with bell peppers and onions, half an avocado, and fruit

Lunch: salad with tuna, veggies, almonds, and a half an avocado with balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing.

Pre-workout snack: celery and almond butter (I realize now I should be having more protein here)

Dinner: I range from chicken, salmon, or shrimp, and include veggies (broccoli, asparagus, and brussel sprouts) and sweet potato.

Please advise!

I'd be inclined to up the protein & fat in your lunch, skip the preWO meal, and then be sure to have a postWO meal of a lean protein & starchy carb - particularly if you a running any distance. Muscle glycogen does not normalize on a daily basis unless you are feeding your muscles adequate starch, and your muscles are aching because they need the protein for recovery & repair.

Provided you are eating enough at meals one & two you should do fine without the preWO, unless you're training first thing - and even then once you are fat adapted (usually around 15 days or so in if you're composing your meals effectively) you may well be able to train fasted. If you feel you DO need a preWO make sure it includes a lean protein & not fruit or veg.

Don't skip the postWO - and don't assume it can be combined with meal three as the fat in this meal will slow down absorption  of the nutrients when the muscles need them most.

I think this should make a difference to you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. Can you offer suggestions of how to get more protein and fat during lunch? I currently eat a can of tuna for protein and half an avocado and a small handful of nuts for fat.

Also, I usually finish my workouts around dinner time. So how would you suggest I have my postWO separated from my dinner? Can I not combine the two for a larger meal?

The postWO meal can be eaten as soon as  you finish training - I usually eat mine before I shower, and then have my next meal. It need only be a few bites of each. Chicken & sweet potato are the favourite and both are palatable cold.

As for increasing the protein & fat in your lunch - I'd probably switch the nuts to something like a home-mayo (superior fat source) and just add a little extra tuna - if you're easily going 4-5hrs between meals then it may well be fine as it is and just take plenty of water on board.

It's something you need to play around with to suit your own level of activity, but you shouldn't skip the postWO and as I explained above combining the two will not allow the nutrients from the protein to reach your muscles to aid recovery & repair, which is why your recovery is currently so slow.

• Moderators

Becoming fat adapted rarely happens before about 2 weeks and often takes a bit longer. It is a big relief when your body makes the transition. As an experienced runner, I was shocked at how I felt just puttering along for a mile or two and then I was back to normal. Hang in there. 

Archived