Crimsann

Tigers and Turtles - 2016

610 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2017 at 4:12 AM, vozelle said:

Hi everyone, I'm still here… Good to catch up on what's going on with each of you. Sorry to hear about the various struggles, wishing you all well.  And good luck with the new challenges/goals!  Crimsann, WOW. 

I am  now on Phase 2 (of 3) of treatment for my kinda stubborn SIBO,  I'll be on this regimen of supplements and careful eating for 60 days. Then hoping to retest and see where things are at.  In a weird way, I'm now almost grateful to have had this medical issue to keep me making healthy choices all this time. That "forced compliance" over the looooooong haul has really transformed my lifestyle in what feels like a permanent way. And honestly, after the EXPENSE of treating this gut dysbiosis, I have a very strong financial incentive to stay healthy once the condition is healed!

Blessings to you all, V

Hard way to go but good outcome. Hope you are feeling better daily.

vozelle likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I haven't been around for a while and here's why. I was so low about not moving anywhere weight wise and not willing to go another 'diet', had enough of that for twelve lifetimes, but didn't know what to do. Of course, as it happens information crossed my path and I have been reading about Bright Line Eating, the ebook is on amazon.com for $1.99 until the end of May. It makes a lot of sense to me and is based on very very current research. I have been following it for a couple weeks and have actually lost weight for the first time in over a couple years. Not hugely different from this but we weigh our food, eat three meals a day and two major rules: no sugar, no flour. I didn't realize almond flour is actually flour and that the process of making into flour creates the same problem as sugar. Popcorn is considered flour as well! So I was using almond flour in my meatloaf. But doesn't matter now am not using any flour and of course no sugar, sweetener etc and etc and I am finally losing weight. Early days, but I am hopeful. You may want to investigate.

Freezing cold here and I have to keep moving to keep warm. Hope you are all well.

 

vozelle likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@misslindy Yup, it's definitely time for our annual trade-off of summer.  I looked at the forecast for the week this morning and thought "finally, that's more like it!"  I wish we could both have nice weather all the time though.  Happy to hear you found something that helped budge the scales.  When I'm on the plan I do usually lose though each time it gets a bit slower as I get closer to my perfect weight and I'm trying to stay patient with that.  Only about one month in to doing this for a solid year so I can keep my expectations low for awhile yet.  But I know if I got to April of next year and felt like I hadn't made any progress on the weight front I would be really frustrated.

Early days I'm keeping my eyes on NSV's for now.  Last night I had one of those with yoga, in one of the positions achieving the full pose would have my forehead touching my knee and I sort of bumped my head for a second and realized that for the first time I had enough flexibility to bend that far.  I'm really trying to work in as many days doing the full workout, cardio+yoga but without making that one of the rules.  I don't want to burn out on it just when I'm getting some real progress.  That also lets me take a day of down time when I've already met my Move goal just by being more active than days when I sit all morning.  So far, so good.  

On the other hand, I had this thought last night.  I wear a sports bra to do yoga these days so things stay where they should, but more and more I think I may have to keep doing yoga just to be able to keeping getting in and out of one.  This may be the definition of a vicious circle?

Lunch this week is a struggle.  I was so excited about that pork roast recipe and it ended up being colossally blah.  I can't for the life of me figure out how!  All that flavor in the marinade where did it go?!?  It's totally edible, just almost entirely tasteless.  Can't win them all I guess.  I'm going to do another batch of balsamic chicken for next week I think, I haven't made that since my first Whole30 so I hope it's as good as I remembered.  I might try a version of broccoli salad with it.  You can tell I'm not in love with this week's menu when I have next weeks all worked out and it's barely Tuesday. ;) 

My niece bought her first bike this week.  Yes, bought it herself out of her piggy bank, mostly in ones and with ever so much pride.  I did a double-take when I saw the picture though.  Her bike helmet has a tiara on it.  The neighborhood is so not ready for this.  But it did have Tt looking for a bike too, after all I can't let her hit the trails alone!  Let's hope it really is true what they say about riding a bike.  Not sure how long I could claim I was only using training wheels in solidarity.

misslindy and vozelle like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2017 at 8:46 AM, Crimsann said:

@misslindy Yup, it's definitely time for our annual trade-off of summer.  I looked at the forecast for the week this morning and thought "finally, that's more like it!"  I wish we could both have nice weather all the time though.  Happy to hear you found something that helped budge the scales.  When I'm on the plan I do usually lose though each time it gets a bit slower as I get closer to my perfect weight and I'm trying to stay patient with that.  Only about one month in to doing this for a solid year so I can keep my expectations low for awhile yet.  But I know if I got to April of next year and felt like I hadn't made any progress on the weight front I would be really frustrated.

Early days I'm keeping my eyes on NSV's for now.  Last night I had one of those with yoga, in one of the positions achieving the full pose would have my forehead touching my knee and I sort of bumped my head for a second and realized that for the first time I had enough flexibility to bend that far.  I'm really trying to work in as many days doing the full workout, cardio+yoga but without making that one of the rules.  I don't want to burn out on it just when I'm getting some real progress.  That also lets me take a day of down time when I've already met my Move goal just by being more active than days when I sit all morning.  So far, so good.  

On the other hand, I had this thought last night.  I wear a sports bra to do yoga these days so things stay where they should, but more and more I think I may have to keep doing yoga just to be able to keeping getting in and out of one.  This may be the definition of a vicious circle?

Lunch this week is a struggle.  I was so excited about that pork roast recipe and it ended up being colossally blah.  I can't for the life of me figure out how!  All that flavor in the marinade where did it go?!?  It's totally edible, just almost entirely tasteless.  Can't win them all I guess.  I'm going to do another batch of balsamic chicken for next week I think, I haven't made that since my first Whole30 so I hope it's as good as I remembered.  I might try a version of broccoli salad with it.  You can tell I'm not in love with this week's menu when I have next weeks all worked out and it's barely Tuesday. ;) 

My niece bought her first bike this week.  Yes, bought it herself out of her piggy bank, mostly in ones and with ever so much pride.  I did a double-take when I saw the picture though.  Her bike helmet has a tiara on it.  The neighborhood is so not ready for this.  But it did have Tt looking for a bike too, after all I can't let her hit the trails alone!  Let's hope it really is true what they say about riding a bike.  Not sure how long I could claim I was only using training wheels in solidarity.

Sounds like you are motoring along beautifully. I can't believe the helmet with a tiara--LOVE IT! Hope you both have great times on the trails. xxx

vozelle likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2017 at 3:46 PM, Crimsann said:

I wear a sports bra to do yoga these days so things stay where they should...

@Crimsann Oh boy, this made me laugh harder than it should have!

 

1 hour ago, misslindy said:

I have been reading about Bright Line Eating, the ebook is on amazon.com for $1.99 until the end of May.

@misslindy Naturally, my first instinct was to hop quickly over to Amazon and order the book! 

 

So here's where I am... As has happened twice before, I find that it takes about 6 weeks post-W30 to find myself steeped in all of my bad eating habits once again. Can you say "slow learner?" I'm not sure what's next, although I will be reading Bright Lines to see what that is about. It's got a 5 star rating from almost 900 people, plus misslindy's recommendation, so that says it's worth a try. I've started working with a trainer, and I love her! She's 58 (almost as old as I am!) and had anorexia in her 30s, so she knows what it's like to struggle with food. At yesterday's session, we walked for the first 35 minutes and just talked through all kinds of things. Very helpful! And since her sessions are 90 minutes, she still had time to cause some delayed muscle pain. Fun times!

I'd like to do another W30, but I'm not in my own kitchen yet. I seem to have a bit of perfectionism going on (a BIT?? LOL) so I'm afraid it will be hard to commit to less than that. It hasn't worked so far to create my own rules, but that might have to be it right now. Maybe if I write things down, even if it's not totally compliant, I can make it work. Things have been, for the most part, pretty peaceful around here, so I'd like to keep them that way. I guess I'll google some no-cook W30 meals and see what comes up. 

Wishing you both continued success!!

 

vozelle and misslindy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NancyW  Did you find anything on the no-cook meals?  I ended up doing my version of that for lunches this week since it was a short week anyway.  Basically tuna salad, a fruit salad, and (though I realize these are now illegal on a W30) some "compliant" potato chips.  It's something I rotate in every now and then, I don't really like tuna salad...but I can and will eat it...and it's an easy way to swap to fish as a protein source on occasion.  I'm also okay with having chips this way, given they are all compliant ingredients, because it has the built in portion control of being packed...I can't just reach for more even if the temptation hits.  

Moved the balsamic chicken and broccoli salad idea to the coming weeks menu plan instead.  I am in a sort of weird rut with chicken though, not that it doesn't sound good...but that nothing else sounds good.  I'm kind of okay with doing the same few things for my evening meal, easy and tasty is all I care about that point in the day and even if I have "all the eats to choose from" I tend to do the same couple things so this isn't any different than my pre-Whole30 style just with different dishes.  Still I want to keep some variety coming in so I need to get a bit more creative there.  I have a feeling it's going to be bacon/eggs/spinach though...it's a tasty rut to be in I guess.  I like this meal because I can cook it all on my electric griddle.  I start with a pile of pre-cooked potatoes in shreds on one side since they will take the longest to cook and then two strips of bacon on the other side.  I move the bacon around a little when I flip it and add two hands full of spinach where the bacon was so the greens cook down/wilt in the bacon grease.  Slide the potatoes onto my plate, top with the spinach, then crack two eggs and let that go until just cooked with a runny yolk still...pile them on top of the spinach and I'm good to go.  Quick enough I could do this in the morning too if it weren't for the still insurmountable "getting out of bed on time" deal.  

I'm really hoping to get to a better place with mornings.  I can feel it starting to happen now but that's partly this time of year as much as anything.  I'm hitting a natural wake up point of just before 7:00, the problem is I don't actually have to get up until 8:00 and without anything making me do so I mostly just fall back to sleep and by 8:00 it's torture getting up.  Maybe if I were just a bit more aware at 7:00, enough to rationalize this all with myself like I can now...or if I could ever really wake up hungry enough to want to get out of bed...sigh.  Progress there too though, I'm often very hungry by lunchtime rather than just stopping because it's time to.  

Did yoga outside for the first time this past weekend...felt like the troll exiting the cave.  Of course, despite using sunscreen, I also got a tinge of sunburn too so it does recall to me why I stay in my cave most of the time.  I'm going to step that up to doing it outdoors over the weekends to start with, probably to the vast entertainment of my neighbors.  It's a good way to get in some of that sun exposure I actually need.  In my dream world I would start every morning that way, but even when I was on vacation and had nowhere to go I found I didn't enjoy working out in the morning.  It felt like it took twice as long and made me seriously impatient rather than unwinding me so I don't think that is the answer for me even if it sounds nice.  

Nothing much new to report, I didn't do a weigh in this week...actually just forgot to but again I'm trying to keep my focus on the NSV's right now because I know the scale is going to be behind the times on reporting actual progress.  I hit Day 135 on my workout streak so still going strong there, clothes are fitting better maybe not 100% back to my lowest size but I no longer have to pick and choose so much between my pants as they are all viable options, LOL!  Skin is clearing more again, starting to notice my cheekbones...that's a weird one guys, but for some reason even small ticks up or down I still notice in my face first.  Energy is up I'm sure only because I DON'T notice it.  I tend not to clue into when I have energy but really notice it when I don't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I discovered a down side to doing yoga outside.  Well, two down sides if you also count my mother surreptitiously taking photographs and sharing them with her friends as "cute!", which what am I two still?!? 

The other down side happened on Sunday.  This is my ideal day for outdoor yoga because most of my neighbors are out for the day and I can be assured of a little more privacy than usual.  I was in a position that had my head on roughly the same plane as my feet, not quite upside down but as near to it as I get at this point, when all of a sudden my Apple watch started doing it's little vibrate thing but in an odd series of three thumps repeated three times.  That isn't any kind of alert I am aware of, so without breaking the pose I was in, I twisted my wrist around just enough to read the face of the watch and to my horror.....it was dialing 911 for me.

O.M.G

And of course my phone was clear over on the patio, plus I'm standing with my head on the ground, so by the time I got myself off my face and across the lawn the call had just started to connect as I slammed down the hang up button.  I was not quick enough though because sure enough several seconds later my phone is ringing and it doesn't take three guesses to figure out who it is.  So I'm standing there trying to get my headphones disconnected and my phone unpaired from them since they don't have a mic and I can't respond to the operators question about "what is the nature of your emergency"...finally I get through to her and babble something about "my watch dialed you while I was working out" but I'm totally out of breath and maybe somewhat lacking in credibility?  My best guess is, this wasn't the first time it had happened because she actually accepted that my watch could dial emergency services, and we parted on reasonably friendly terms. 

Some quick research later, because let's be honest...the Zen Zone was GONE at that point...I discovered that there is a feature where if you press the side stem in for long enough it will assume it's an SOS and connect to your phone and dial 911 which is actually sort of cool.  Well, would be cool if I thought for a second that in a true emergency I would remember this detail in time to use it.  Needless to say I disabled that feature promptly.  I suppose this now means I can be mugged with impunity as I no longer have that handy ability to call for back up.  This is the price I must pay for a good workout.  I'm pretty sure I'm still flaming with embarrassment, but at least there was an explanation and it wasn't like my first fear which was that my watch somehow sensed I was going to need an EMT any moment there based on my breathing and/or heart rate.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All

I have been doing Bright Line Eating now for a full five weeks and am down 21 pounds! Can hardly believe it. As I say it is in some ways similar to W30 but no sugar no flour and quantities are important. But for me it is working brilliantly.

I have been wondering how you are all doing and will check in from time to time but my main focus will be BLE for the next while.  There is a lot of new research on exercise and brain function with weight loss, it does make sense to me and is working.

Hope you are all well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, misslindy said:

Hello All

I have been doing Bright Line Eating now for a full five weeks and am down 21 pounds! Can hardly believe it. As I say it is in some ways similar to W30 but no sugar no flour and quantities are important. But for me it is working brilliantly.

I have been wondering how you are all doing and will check in from time to time but my main focus will be BLE for the next while.  There is a lot of new research on exercise and brain function with weight loss, it does make sense to me and is working.

Hope you are all well. 

Middling! I meant to get on earlier and tell you I bought Bright Line Eating after reading what you said about it. To my absolute amazement,  it is working for me as well. I am just starting my 2nd week, down 5 in week one. :-) I'm keeping to W30 foods with the exception of Greek yogurt, it seems the portions and the planning what I will eat the day before are what I need. Fabulous! 

I had to give up my exercise for that week because I was so tired, but I will pick itt up again thos week, at least the toning parts. Still working on learning those Latin dance moves, lol.

misslindy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought BLE as well, but I am not in a place right now to follow it. Vacation starts Saturday, my sister is coming in from GA, and we have a full calendar of stuff. I'm not sure how well I'd do with it even with nothing going on, but honestly, I KNOW what I need to do. I just about finished Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat, and it makes it clear to me that the carbs have to go. So why is it so hard to do? 

Hope everyone is enjoying summer (or winter, as it were...). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now