Completing the 30 or Reintroducing More Important?

Kenandbrenna

My fiancé and I started the whole 30 to see if it would help with some digestive issues he's had for years. We are 6 days in and his dad just booked an all inclusive vacation for the family that begins on day 30 of our plan.

Now we aren't sure what to do.

Plan 1: Stop now, do the entire whole30 another month

Plan 2: Do the whole30 for 20 days with the re introduction period for the last 10

Plan 3: Skip the reintroduction period

I really think the reintroduction is critical since we are trying to find out what's causing his digestive issues. Is it at all worth to shorten from 30 to 20 days just for this first month and then do a full whole 30 again when we return? Following the plan while on vacation is simply not going to happen.

I would recommend option 1, so you get to perform the program as designed.

Option 2 has too many downsides: not eliminating the problem ingredients for long enough, and then, depending on how you eat during your vacation, you may end up back at square 1.

Option 3 has too many risks of you potentially getting sick during your vacation from reintroducing in general or from consuming too many off-plan foods all at once.

• Moderators

I'm sure you know this, but I'll point it out anyway -- the worse you eat leading up to the Whole30 when you do choose to do it, the worse that first week or so is going to be. You can choose to use this time to eat mostly Whole30ish, try out new recipes, and just sort of try out what it's going to be like when you do a Whole30. When you go on your cruise, you can be mindful of the choices you make, and decide which foods are really worth it to you. 

You might want to read through the Guide to Nutritional Off Roading and Melissa's One Bite Rule, and use them to help you think about whether you want your cruise to be filled with you eating all the things, just because they're there, or if you want to really consider your choices a little more and try to find some kind of balance. You don't want to feel deprived or like you're missing out on something really amazing, but at the same time, it's okay to decide that something just isn't really that amazing to you, in that moment, even if everyone else disagrees. Maybe you're one of the people who has already figured this out, but it took me a while, so I thought I'd point it out.

Archived