looking for Ghee - homemade recipe anyone?

Deb Froemming

I found mine in the refridgerated section of Whole Foods. I do want to try to make my own though! I looked at several recipes and videos online and although it looks quite easy I got terribly confused. Everyone does it differently. Some take up to an hour to do it, others say it only takes 20 minutes. Some skim the foam off the top and say don't stir and others don't skim and do stir. Hope someone has a great answer! :unsure:

A friend of mine has made this recipe. The only reason that I haven't tried it is because the stainless pan that I have has had tea steeped in it, so I hesitate to use that one. I've had her ghee several times and love it. Very fresh and nutty tasting. She uses the Kerrygold unsalted butter from pastured cows.

Oops..forgot to leave the link. It's a little different than clarified butter...more high mainenance, but well worth it in my mind.

http://justhomemade.net/2010/10/27/homemade-ghee/

The video shows pretty much what I do. If you melt over low heat, it can take quite a while. I also let mine bubble a bit after I skim the foam off the top, and finish with 1/8 of a teaspoon of sea salt for about 7 sticks of butter. It causes the ghee to foam up and helps to draw the solids out of the ghee. My husband used to love love love his eggs cooked in butter and now he prefers having them done only in ghee. After we did our first whole30 we tasted the milk solids just to see and they tasted like Parmesan cheese! lol

The video shows pretty much what I do. If you melt over low heat, it can take quite a while. I also let mine bubble a bit after I skim the foam off the top, and finish with 1/8 of a teaspoon of sea salt for about 7 sticks of butter. It causes the ghee to foam up and helps to draw the solids out of the ghee. My husband used to love love love his eggs cooked in butter and now he prefers having them done only in ghee. After we did our first whole30 we tasted the milk solids just to see and they tasted like Parmesan cheese! lol

LOL on the tasting the milk solids...I'd be afraid of going hog wild since good parm is one of my favorite flavors in the world. :)

Is there a difference between ghee and clarified butter?

Yes, to me Ghee has more of a browned butter taste because you let it bubble away and the browned milk solids give it more flavor. All of the water and milk solids are gone so you don't even have to refrigerate it. You certainly can let your clarified butter bubble for a while to get more flavor.

Here's an explanation thanks to Google.

"It's wicked easy once you understand how butter cooks. You're basically clarifying butter, then letting it cook longer until the milk solids caramelize, giving it the unique nutty flavor and sweet aroma only found in ghee.

Clarifying butter, like many other processes in cooking, was borne out of a need to preserve. The process separates the milk solids from the butter fats, resulting in a much longer shelf life. In India, refrigeration is generally not an option, and by taking their butter one step further, it has a shelf life at room temperature for up to 1 year. Indians, my relatives among them, claim if it's made by expert hands it will last 100 years."

hope to make some ghee or clarified butter soon with one of the recipes suggested, however it turns out! missing some flavor in my veggies. Checked at my local grocery store in the Natural section, no ghee, she said she could special order it but making it sounds so much better.

thanks everyone!

My husband made Ghee when we started the W30. I use it mainly for my scrambled eggs/omelet and cooking my veggies for said eggs. Honestly, I didn't really notice a taste difference (lame taste buds, I know). Anyway, this weekend I bought some lobsters for us since they were on sale. I forgot that I couldn't use butter! So we used the Ghee. Here is where I really tasted the difference! It was more like caramel. Not the best flavor for me for dipping my lobster in but I now know the taste difference! It was different. I could easily see pouring it (okay just a couple of tablespoons) over some apples and baking.

Archived