Clueless relatives feeding my kid

Darkblue

First post on this forum.. I don't know where else to ask. So we have been doing whole30 for two weeks now. My son is almost two and he and I are doing it together (the others in my family eat what I prepare but then are allowed snacks in their own time). We are trying to solve what I assume is a food sensitivity in my son. So we went out to my in-law's for dinner tonight. I told everyone that my son is only allowed to eat what I brought for him. After dinner, my brother in law was walking around with him and went out of my sight and was feeding him corn tortilla chips. I kind of blew up at him, he thought it was a stupid diet and thought chips are no big deal. I am still furious. ANYWAY. He had 3 chips, apparently. Do I REALLY have to start our two weeks all over again? My guess is he is sensitive to either gluten or dairy, so maybe corn is not the worst slip up and we can just finish off the month? What would you do in this situation?

I'd suggest leaving a 30 day gap between 'corn-gate' and your corn reintroduction at the end of your Whole30 - that way you can continue on, but just try the other food groups first.

Did you notice ANY reaction to the corn?

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought of doing it that way, that is what I will do. Much easier than starting over completely. No, well I can't speak for how he might have felt internally, but there was no obvious reaction to it. We are trying to solve a skin issue for him and it didn't seem to aggregate it at all.

I don't have an answer but just want to share my sympathy at how annoying and frustrating it is when people think they have the right to go against your wishes.  Like hello, my kid, my decision. And why people want to intentionally introduce unhealthy foods to young kids is beyond me.  Even with my son who just turned one people are like "oh it's sad he doesn't get to have that" and I'm like it's not sad, he has no desire for that he doesn't know it exists. Ugh!!!

Archived