Start Today, Feb 8, 2016

2manyboats

Turning 60 this year. Late November, so there's time- BUT, my youngest daughter gets married on the beach in Tulum mid July. You know what that means...She calls it "sweating for the wedding". I call it, "I can't help being the old guy, but I can help being the old, fat guy". Never been skinny a day in my life (currently 5'-10", 225 LBS), so that's not the main goal. My blood pressure is, as well as whatever "normal" I am living with without knowing.

After reading most of "Whole 30" and some of "It Starts With Food", I am encouraged. My oldest daughter is on day 10 of W30 and having migraines, so we can commiserate. Since their mom (who bought the books, BTW), my wife of 32 years is a Health Coach through Dr. Sears, we have been eating organic, paleo, whole this, that and the other thing for years. My Mom was arguably the original health nut and at 82 years old day trades the stock market and runs circles around most people mentally.

All this to point out that none of the W30 concepts are necessarily foreign to me. Between that and my doing Cross Fit and Boot Camp for the 8 months before the holidays, I have a pretty good head start. BUT, being a Cajun boy, setting aside carbs may turn me into an axe murderer. And eliminating beer and wine from even my cooking? Well that's just unheard of. It ain't natural.

It's. Only. 30. Days. Off we go!

I am starting today.  Epic fail yesterday but that's over.  My biggest obstacle is what goes on in my head - "this won't work, you will never figure this out."  I already learned I like the way I feel from eating roasted carrots better than sweet potatoes and I've only been up for 90 minutes!

Hope your day 2 goes great!

Patty

Thanks, Patty! Day 2 is off to a great start. I am blessed to have two Whole Foods Markets within 15 minutes of my house. Add to that a Sprouts Farmers Market and Kroger's Grocery that has excellent and economical organic products- it isn't hard to find the good stuff. Well, the right stuff anyway. Roasted carrots? I may try that.

Here is a blog my wife wrote yesterday regarding Carrageenan. Read your labels, folks!!!

"Think you are eating healthy by eating packaged organic roasted chicken breast deli meat? I thought so too, till I read it's ingredient list containing carrageenan. According to the "truth in labeling.org" website, carrageenan is another name for msg. And it's been shown to cause gut inflammation- ( think "Leaky Gut".) I called Applegate and spoke with a pleasant representative named Shawn, expressing my concern about the carrageenan. And his response? He said that it is not msg, and is used to bind the meat, so  it can slice better. He also mentioned that their company is aware of consumer's concerns regarding this ingredient and they are "working to phase it out of their foods." ( But he didn't know when.)  He also said that Applegate's turkey deli meat, ( found BEHIND the deli counter) is their ONLY deli meat that doesn't contain carrageenan. I like Applegate's commitment to organic, antibiotic, nitrate free, gluten and casein free meats. Hopefully, we'll see the elimination of carrageenan, for our greater health. 

And if you want to affect change, make your voice heard by calling them at 866-587-5858."

Archived