Headaches not going away

Alex M

Today is the end of Day 8 and ever since Day 2 (i think), I've had a small but constant headache throughout the day.  It gets worse when I am about to go to bed, or before a meal.  Eating will soothe it a little, but not totally.  I've been trying to drink a lot of water but that doesn't seem to help (maybe I need more?).

I still have not fully adjusted to the not snacking.  I get very hungry in between the meals but it seems less and less.  

I also worked out for the first time during my Whole30, did a moderate lift mid-day.  I ate a smaller portion of pulled pork and a few spoons of guacamole.  I got really dizzy at the end of the workout and recovered once I ate a full lunch afterwords.

a typical meal for me will be.

4-6 chicken tenderloins (or equal portions of Beef/Pork)

3-4 cups of vegetable (steamed broccoli, carrots, etc)

1 avocado

I do drink a lot of coffee, have cut back during the Whole30, generally have 2-5 cups per day.  2-3 in the morning and another before the afternoon. 

I'm not sure if this matters but I'm 6'3, and have a muscular athletic build. 

Any ideas on how to get rid of the headaches? or is this my crappy food withdraw I'm going through. 

Thanks!!

• Moderators

Hey Alex!

Sorry to hear that you're having a rough go of it... the headache can last longer for some people and the fact that it gets marginally better when you eat food tells me you're not eating enough.

Your veggies look good... not sure how 4-6 chicken tenderloins fit the size of your palm (width x length x thickness)... You're a big guy at 6'3" with a muscular build so you need to eat to support your body.

Did you have a really terrible diet before you came here? It could be 'crappy food withdrawal'...

How much water are you drinking? The recommendation is 1/2oz per pound of body weight so given that you're a big guy, you're gonna be drinking a LOT...

Your headache could be partly caffeine withdrawl if you've really cut back... coffee is also a diuretic which means its going to dehydrate you... so... more water ;)

You can take a tylenol or advil to get you over the headache hump if you need to.

Also, you want to make sure you're eating a post workout meal of lean protein and carbs... it doesn't have to be a ton, especially if you're eating lunch right after but using lunch as your post workout means you're cheating yourself out of an earned meal...

• Moderators

I think you are not eating nearly enough food. The fact that you are getting seriously hungry between meals tells me you are not eating enough. The fact that you need snacks tells me you are not eating enough. The description of how you are composing a meal suggests to me you are not eating enough. And if you are not eating enough, of course you have a headache. 

I am 6'2". My metabolism runs faster than the metabolism of many people, but let me describe my dinner plate last night. I melted a tablespoon of beef tallow/fat in my wok and added a big handful of chopped onion. Then I added two medium size potatoes diced into cubes. Then I added half of an entire package of fresh spinach. Then I added a little water to help wilt the spinach without burning the potatoes. Then I added a handful of dried cranberries sweetened with apple juice. Then I added a handful of macadamia nuts. Then I added about 1/4 of a whole chicken that I had pressure cooked with a can of coconut milk and spices. And, of yeah, I added spices to my wok - salt, garlic powder, crushed red pepper. When I transferred this food to my full-size dinner plate, the food covered the entire plate. The depth of coverage varied from 1/2 inch at the edges of the plate to almost 2 inches deep at the center of the plate. When I am eating just 3 meals per day, this is what a plate of food looks like. 

Some headaches are part of the process of weaning off a sugar/carb dominant diet and shifting to a fat-dominant diet, but I am concerned that yours are from being too hungry. 

Archived