Day 31 and GAINED weight

mrslady

Cardio seems easy to "count" (I can count steps taken or miles walked). I worry that I would never know when I was "done" working out if I moved to strength training. 

I find the signaling from my body feels much clearer too. With weights, it's a kind of "yep, we're done here, time for some PostWO food", but with heavy cardio I always felt like I wanted to stop, so I was constantly forcing myself to do x amount of time, x amount of heart rate or whatever. It's kind of like the exercise equivalent of template food vs calorie counting. For me, it's simpler, it's easier and it just feels better. The only trick I would say is weights can make you feel better enough that you start skipping your rest days, don't do that, you'll feel better if you have rest days.

Can I butt in and ask something about these suggestions? 

I am so confused about the fruit, nut, starchy veg stuff in Whole30. Are all of these suggestions because the original poster is afraid of gaining weight or because these are baseline suggestions for all Whole30ers? 

I thought:

-too much fruit is discouraged because it wakes up the sugar dragon? And the nutrients can be gotten elsewhere (from vegetables) 

-Nuts/nut butters are discouraged because they can also awaken the sugar dragon and they are just not the best fat?

Is this correct? 

And what about the starchy veggie? 

And are these suggestions for strict Whole30 or if you wanted to continue a Whole30 lifestyle afterward? 

Some people have specific issues, questions or needs, so responses tend to be tailored to their context :)

Nuts and nut butters are compliant but many people do not limit them in the way that is recommended.

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

Some people (I'm one) get their best results when doing the Recommendations as well as the Rules. The template alone makes a huge difference for me.

Starchy veggies are very individual, some people are losing more weight than they want to (don't need to lose any) and others would like to lose.

It can be a fine line between enough starch, too much starch and not enough starch for some people, so it's good to keep a food & exercise log and see how you feel.

Before doing my first Whole30 I used to eat low carb and I was surprised at how much more starch I can eat without gaining weight on Whole30, without grains and dairy in my food. I find now if I drop y carbs too much, I don't lose, my body is waiting for more food and if I don't hand it over, we just stay static :)

I would also just like to add that there is a big difference between taking leisurely walks around the neighborhood, or going for a beautiful hike in the woods ~ and "power walking" or using the elliptical machine for an hour straight at the crack of dawn.

The sleep would do you more good ~ no doubt about it.

I don't think anyone here is telling you to stop walking altogether ~ but don't feel that you "need" to do it in the fashion you've been doing.  You may be doing more harm than good.

If you enjoy walking on the treadmill -- you don't have to stop -- but maybe do it at a slower pace, while watching TV or reading a book -- and don't time it.  Do what feels good and natural to your body.  Some days this may just be a few minutes, some days this could be an hour.  But let it happen naturally, not forced.  There really is a difference in your overall health and well-being.

A few of us here are doing a "2016 miles in 2016" challenge ~ just to see if we can do it.  It's been motivating to help get us moving more, for sure.  I dusted off the old clunker treadmill and put it in my living room.  But I was so happy to see that the display on it does not work at all.  It is just completely blank.  So I don't know how fast I am going -- and I don't know how long.  I listen to my body, and I do what feels right.  This is for fun and health, not to add stress.

It may take you awhile to get there, but you'll get there.   :)

I also wanted to throw out a recommendation for Bret Contreras' book:  Strong Curves

He has programs from beginner to advanced, things you can do at home or in the gym, and the best part is that there are detailed instructions and full-color, real-human pictures in the back for EVERY move.  It is like my weightlifting bible.

This is all great advice. I have always looked at exercise as something that must be done and counted every day. And after 11 years it's just not feeling right anymore. This is definitely a scary change for me. I think I count exercise the same way I counted calories before Whole30. It's starting to feel punishing and restrictive. 

I read reviews for Strong Curves...definitely looks interesting. My only concern is being able to do it at home with the equipment I have (bench, barbell and weight plates, and a set of hand weights). I would be fine with purchasing a few relatively inexpensive things (like resistance bands), but don't want to invest a bunch of money into more workout equipment. With those parameters, do you think it's still doable and worthwhile to purchase the book? 

This is all great advice. I have always looked at exercise as something that must be done and counted every day. And after 11 years it's just not feeling right anymore. This is definitely a scary change for me. I think I count exercise the same way I counted calories before Whole30. It's starting to feel punishing and restrictive. 

I read reviews for Strong Curves...definitely looks interesting. My only concern is being able to do it at home with the equipment I have (bench, barbell and weight plates, and a set of hand weights). I would be fine with purchasing a few relatively inexpensive things (like resistance bands), but don't want to invest a bunch of money into more workout equipment. With those parameters, do you think it's still doable and worthwhile to purchase the book? 

I am so happy for you, to be changing your thinking in this area.  I think it will serve you well.  It is so freeing to let go of some of those old ideas.  I'm here to tell you:   It will all be okay.  Really.   :)  If you start building muscle... man, BETTER than okay.  I can't tell you how much lifting has been a benefit in my life.

I just spent some time looking through the book for you.  Yes, based on the equipment you have, I still think this book would be very beneficial for you to own.  There are a few moves you may not be able to do -- but here's the great thing:  The back of the book is divided into categories.  So, say you cannot do a certain move at home.  You look up that move, and find another move in that same category, that more or less works the same muscles.  You substitute.  No big deal!  I do this all the time.

I know, you said you don't want to spend much money ~ and that's fine -- you can still do SO MUCH with this book.  But I am just going to throw this out there, for future reference.  I bought this power rack on Amazon, had it shipped to my house, and put it together myself.  It's one of the best investments I have ever made.  I am so proud to own it, and I love that thing.  Based on everything you've told me you own, this is the only thing I can think of that you may really want, down the road.

Brewer's power rack  

Let me know if you have any more questions!  I am happy to help.  :)

DAY 40 UPDATE! 

Many people in your scenario extend to 45 or even 60 days so as to see more improvement - perhaps this is something you should consider. 

^^This has been SO TRUE for me. I am so grateful that I stuck with this and didn't give up after Day 30. This morning was the first day that I truly felt TIGER BLOOD. I felt traces of it before, but nothing like this. It's hard to even describe...I slept like a rock, woke up (later than normal, because I giving "chronic cardio" in the morning a rest), ate my protein and veggies for breakfast (no added fruit!!!! another HUGE NSV for me!!!! I didn't even want my normal morning banana), and literally could not stop smiling as I got ready for work. 

Ok, my advice would be to step away from the scale - permanently - that number tells you nothing but your gravitational pull on this earth, and you were feeling good until you stepped on to it.

Be kind to yourself. You've had 30 days of feeding your body nutritious, wholesome food - you've done good!

You're sleeping better, you have increased energy, your stress levels may be better than preW30, and you're free of counting calories - and you've admitted that that feels good!

Ok, so going forward here's what you do:

You do NOT reduce your fat - you could probably do with a little more in some meals - you need it to help you feel full, you need it for brain health, and you need to eat fat to lose fat.
You do NOT reduce your portion sizes - you could even eat a little more - especially protein - when eggs are your only source for example, a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping.
You DO limit fruit & nuts/nut butter consumption to every other day at most.
You also limit starchy veg to one fist sized serving per day - try keeping it until meal 3.

You then replace the starchy veg with lots of other power greens like spinach & kale.
Fruit if you want it use as a condiment only - a few berries sprinkled into a salad.
You make sure you are drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily.

Give it a week and see how you are feeling and come back with an update and we can tweak some more....

^Did all of this, too, over the last 9 days. I actually had my husband hide the scale somewhere where I wouldn't find it. I took measurements about a week ago. Will wait probably one more week to measure myself again. All of my clothes still fit, and I FEEL amazing, so I am staying the course :)

You aren't alone, I used to do early morning "chronic cardio" on an empty stomach :rolleyes:

On a side note, I also found my food needs changed a little when I moved away from cardio, this doesn't happen to everyone but if you feel like you want slightly different foods, you may need more muscle food.

^^Yup, I have noticed that I am craving fruit and nut butter less, and protein more. Wow. I have been less focused on cardio-just-for-the-sake-of-cardio over the last week and a half, and I have started adding strength training in. Body weight training has come naturally for me, since I practice yoga regularly, but my husband broke out his weight equipment for me and I have been lifting that way, which has been really great. It's helped me sleep better, too. 

Yes, yes it would... Strength training is the way forward for sure.

Muscle burns almost twice as much energy as body fat does, even at rest.

On the exercise note, have you been taking any kind of a postWO? 

^^I have noticed that I am hungry after lifting weights, so I have been having a hard boiled egg dipped in mustard (surprisingly delicious) with some cherry tomatoes or sauerkraut on the side. 

I would also just like to add that there is a big difference between taking leisurely walks around the neighborhood, or going for a beautiful hike in the woods ~ and "power walking" or using the elliptical machine for an hour straight at the crack of dawn.

The sleep would do you more good ~ no doubt about it.

I don't think anyone here is telling you to stop walking altogether ~ but don't feel that you "need" to do it in the fashion you've been doing.  You may be doing more harm than good.

I also wanted to throw out a recommendation for Bret Contreras' book:  Strong Curves

He has programs from beginner to advanced, things you can do at home or in the gym, and the best part is that there are detailed instructions and full-color, real-human pictures in the back for EVERY move.  It is like my weightlifting bible.

^So I slept in this morning, and I feel great! The world didn't stop turning. I didn't wake up fat. It feels good to squash some of these fears that I've had for well over a decade. I will still get my minimum of 10,000 steps in today, but I'm not stressed about it like I have always been. Another big breakthrough for me -- I ventured in to the weight room at the gym where I work, and now that I've had a week and half to "practice" at home, I feel comfortable going there and using the "real" equipment (with help for the first couple times, of course). I ordered Strong Curves yesterday :)

All that said, I think the damage I had done to my body with extreme restricting and chronic cardio needed more than 30 days to be undone (and I still think it will take more time). After reading all the articles suggested in this thread, I am not planning to weigh myself. I will try taking body measurements every two weeks (and I am expecting that those results will be positive over time).

NSVs so far:

- no more counting calories!

- sleeping great

- no more "chronic cardio" (I have realized this was more of a mental addiction than a physical need)

- no more fear of the scale, or restricting right before weigh day

- no more desperate cravings for fruit or something sweet

- feeling stronger

- TIGER BLOOD

I can't stress how huge these all are for me. In 40 days (and especially in the last 10), I have changed some patterns of thinking and behavior that I have been gripping onto since I was 16 years old.  

Archived