Hello everyone,

I've just finished my whole30 journey yesterday, but lately I've been facing some serious digestive issues. The last few days were terrible, though everything I ate was absolutely compliant, I've been feeling very sick, and I had stomach ache as well. I couldn't find out whether it was because of any kind of food I ate or it was/is a virus I just got. The last two days were the worst, I've been burping all day and after lunch I got terrible stomach aches. 3 days earlier I had dinner quite late and I fell asleep soon after eating, waking up feeling sick and it didn't disappear for days. Could this cause such problems? Another thing I can think of is chia seeds. It happened even before knowing about whole30 that I had terrible stomach ache after eating chia seeds but I thought it's a healthy thing so it couldn't cause such symptoms, could it?
Any ideas what might be wrong?
I'd like to start reintroduction tomorrow but I'm afraid it would make it even worse. What should I do?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Moderators

Hello everyone,

I've just finished my whole30 journey yesterday, but lately I've been facing some serious digestive issues. The last few days were terrible, though everything I ate was absolutely compliant, I've been feeling very sick, and I had stomach ache as well. I couldn't find out whether it was because of any kind of food I ate or it was/is a virus I just got. The last two days were the worst, I've been burping all day and after lunch I got terrible stomach aches. 3 days earlier I had dinner quite late and I fell asleep soon after eating, waking up feeling sick and it didn't disappear for days. Could this cause such problems? Another thing I can think of is chia seeds. It happened even before knowing about whole30 that I had terrible stomach ache after eating chia seeds but I thought it's a healthy thing so it couldn't cause such symptoms, could it?

Any ideas what might be wrong?

I'd like to start reintroduction tomorrow but I'm afraid it would make it even worse. What should I do?

Thanks in advance. :)

First, just because something is healthy, doesn't mean it's good for every single person. Many people have reactions to nuts and seeds that include digestive problems, so chia seeds could definitely be a factor, especially if you were eating very many, and especially since you had problems with them before. There are even vegetables and fruits that cause these issues for some people -- many react to garlic or onions or peppers or apples, it just depends on what a particular person might be sensitive to.

Could you tell us what you've eaten the past couple of days, including approximate portion sizes? Also think about what might have been different about those particular days when you started feeling sick and having symptoms -- did you eat something you've never eaten before, or eat a lot of something you'd only ever had a little bit before?

Sure, I've uploaded almost every food I ate in the past 30 days, here: https://www.instagram.com/bertistic/ Here you can see what I've had and the size of the portions as well. 

The chia seeds I've eaten on the last day are not uploaded. I've added 4 tsp-s to coconut milk plus a handful of frozen berries, approximately 10-15 grams of pumpkin and sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp goji berries (that's something I haven't had for a long time even before whole30) as a snack between lunch and dinner.

• Moderators

First, your cat is adorable! (I'm definitely a cat person, so I had to mention that.)

I'm seeing a lot of nuts and seeds over the past few days. Instead of depending on them for your fat sources, try olives or avocado or coconut, or make some mayo or oil-based sauces like chimichurri or Moroccan dipping sauce or any of these

It also looks like you're eating a lot of nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant) -- some people have issues with these, especially when they have a lot of them at a time. In people who are sensitive to them, these can cause digestive issues. This doesn't mean you'll never be able to eat them again, but many people find they have to limit them some, so you might try taking a break from these vegetables for a while. Check out the nightshade free shopping list and try leaving out the things that are grayed out and focusing on the other stuff and see if you feel better. Once you're feeling better for a while, you can start trying to have these things in small quantities and see how you tolerate them.

Goji berries are also a sneaky nightshade, not even a berry! :) Swap for real berries.

PS for cat lovers, totally worth the extra scrolling for more cat photos! Adorable :D

If you want a little texture, you can get coconut that can be used a bit like nuts or seeds, add to salads and things, either raw or toasted:

http://meljoulwan.com/2011/06/13/carmelized-coconut-chips/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived