Hi! My husband and I are almost done with our reintroduction process, tomorrow we reintroduce grains/gluten/wheat. Which means that almost 2 days ago, on Tuesday (it is Thursday night) we reintroduced dairy, and we did it to the nines. Now, 2 nights later, related or not I do not know, after eating dinner of hamburger, squash & green beans I am writhing with abdominal pain that is very new to me. If it's 'just gas' it doesn't feel like any other gas I've had before. Both times I've taken pepto bismol and have felt much better, but still not 100% within the hour. This pain is very similar to how I felt the entire day and night that we reintroduced non-gluten grains last week. Like I said, this is abnormal to me. I'm wondering if anyone else had similar reactions or could explain why this would come out of nowhere tonight.

Also, just for reference, if after reintroduction you choose to have foods that have made me feel not that great, does it ever get better or should I expect for my body always to react so severely (which I understand is probably how it's supposed to react, the whole shin guard analogy, I get it.)

Kate

I had that reaction to brown rice, terrible pain that I didn't recover from for about 48 hours.  I think from my replies that yes, the pain feels stronger because you can tell what is doing it.  And, yes, probably best to avoid those foods, forever although as a scientist, I will probably try them again much later just to confirm my first test.  That is, when I have some time to feel really bad.  

• Moderators

Hi! My husband and I are almost done with our reintroduction process, tomorrow we reintroduce grains/gluten/wheat. Which means that almost 2 days ago, on Tuesday (it is Thursday night) we reintroduced dairy, and we did it to the nines. Now, 2 nights later, related or not I do not know, after eating dinner of hamburger, squash & green beans I am writhing with abdominal pain that is very new to me. If it's 'just gas' it doesn't feel like any other gas I've had before. Both times I've taken pepto bismol and have felt much better, but still not 100% within the hour. This pain is very similar to how I felt the entire day and night that we reintroduced non-gluten grains last week. Like I said, this is abnormal to me. I'm wondering if anyone else had similar reactions or could explain why this would come out of nowhere tonight.

Also, just for reference, if after reintroduction you choose to have foods that have made me feel not that great, does it ever get better or should I expect for my body always to react so severely (which I understand is probably how it's supposed to react, the whole shin guard analogy, I get it.)

Kate

If you keep eating foods that are not good for you regularly, you may start to not notice the symptoms, just like you didn't notice the symptoms before you did Whole30. But if you're feeling better now than you were before W30, you'll go back to feeling not so great. If you only have them occasionally and eat Whole30 between times, you'll probably have those symptoms every time. But you'll probably feel better between times, if you feel better eating Whole30 style.

Don't forget that two days between reintroductions is the recommendation, but if you're still not feeling good two days after a particular reintroduction, it's best to wait until you feel good again, so you don't confuse continued symptoms from a previous reintroduction with a new symptom from a new food.

You're not asking about it, but I'd recommend that if you haven't already, you read the Guide to Nutritional Off Roading, and maybe also Melissa's series on how she eats, to help you think about what life post-whole30 might look like. Even if you don't choose to follow them exactly, they may help you clarify what it is you want in your life going forward, food-wise.

• Moderators

I had that reaction to brown rice, terrible pain that I didn't recover from for about 48 hours.  I think from my replies that yes, the pain feels stronger because you can tell what is doing it.  And, yes, probably best to avoid those foods, forever although as a scientist, I will probably try them again much later just to confirm my first test.  That is, when I have some time to feel really bad.  

Everyone assumes brown rice is better than white, but many people find that white rice is actually less symptom-producing, because it's more processed. There's something about the bran or something that gets removed to make it white rice, that makes it easier on many people's digestive systems. Just throwing that out there, in case you want some more science experiments to do. :)

I have real trouble with brown rice, although I can tolerate a tiny amount if it's soaked and stuff. White rice very different, no noticeable reaction. I've also tested red rice (a bit similar to brown rice) and black (aka wild) rice. In order of irritant: white, red, brown, black.

I have trouble with a lot of grain coatings (so anything "wholegrain" is worse).

Archived