Nearing the end and feeling worse? Need AIP?

abbyp828

I am on day 28 and I have been surprised that at times I have felt worse than before starting. I have often felt downright weak! I still have an annoying amount of bloating. Also, In the last few days I have felt this annoying sinus pressure/fogginess (trying to decide if it's sickness related, but do not feel stuffed up or ill otherwise.) It has made me wonder if I have increased eating something that I may be reacting to? Or is it just my body still adjusting. I have Hashimotos, so maybe I need to be following the AIP? That seems so overwhelming!

I do feel like I have been eating enough (sometimes wonder if I am eating too much) although my meals are not always the perfect template. I am breastfeeding, so usually have a 4th (smaller) meal/snack. Here is what I ate today:

M1@6:45: 3 eggs & 1.5 cup broccoli slaw/peppers cooked in coconut oil. Roasted Red potato. (Would usually have 1/2 avocado, but had none ripe!) oh, and also black coffee

M2@11:30: 1.5 c buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole, 2 c salad (greens, carrot, celery, slivered almonds) w/ 1/4 c dump ranch, banana

M3@3:30: 1 hard boiled egg, 1 c. Carrot sticks, ~8 olives, tried a few unsweetened banana chips (usually have an actual piece of fruit)

M4@7: 1 chicken sausage, 1.5-2 c green bean/sweet potato, 1.5 c baby kale with a little avo oil/vinegar.

This was not the best day of meals (fridge is low!) but it gives a general idea. It may be low on healthy fats, but I think I am generally better at adding those.

I have been considering going past the 30 days to give my body more healing time, but do not want to if I am actually doing more damage?!

Bloating can be things you're eating. Common irritants that are compliant are FODMAPs, eggs, nuts, seeds, nightshades and coffee.

Not following the template can also mean you're not getting the best results.

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

For bloating, FODMAPs are probably worth eliminating before trying an AIP as they are common foods.

The AIP also doesn't have to be forever, it's also to try and identify irritants, using Reintroductions.

Sinuses could also be an infection, which could affect your general wellbeing but would be unlikely to explain bloating.

If you're feeling weak you may not be getting enough protein and fat, or eating enough food in general.

I am on day 28 and I have been surprised that at times I have felt worse than before starting. I have often felt downright weak! I still have an annoying amount of bloating. Also, In the last few days I have felt this annoying sinus pressure/fogginess (trying to decide if it's sickness related, but do not feel stuffed up or ill otherwise.) It has made me wonder if I have increased eating something that I may be reacting to? Or is it just my body still adjusting. I have Hashimotos, so maybe I need to be following the AIP? That seems so overwhelming!

I do feel like I have been eating enough (sometimes wonder if I am eating too much) although my meals are not always the perfect template. I am breastfeeding, so usually have a 4th (smaller) meal/snack. Here is what I ate today:

M1@6:45: 3 eggs & 1.5 cup broccoli slaw/peppers cooked in coconut oil. Roasted Red potato. (Would usually have 1/2 avocado, but had none ripe!) oh, and also black coffee

M2@11:30: 1.5 c buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole, 2 c salad (greens, carrot, celery, slivered almonds) w/ 1/4 c dump ranch, banana

M3@3:30: 1 hard boiled egg, 1 c. Carrot sticks, ~8 olives, tried a few unsweetened banana chips (usually have an actual piece of fruit - depending on what the fruit was...)

M4@7: 1 chicken sausage, 1.5-2 c green bean/sweet potato, 1.5 c baby kale with a little avo oil/vinegar.

This was not the best day of meals (fridge is low!) but it gives a general idea. It may be low on healthy fats, but I think I am generally better at adding those.

I have been considering going past the 30 days to give my body more healing time, but do not want to if I am actually doing more damage?!

As praxis has pointed out your issue here could be a sensitivity to FODMAPs - I've highlighted in red all the high FODMAP foods you are eating in one day just to show how this could impact how you are feeling - and bear in mind that what we eat has a cumulative effect, so if this is a typical day and you are FODMAP sensitive then (as a felIow sufferer) I'd imagine you'd be feeling pretty grim. 

Take a look at >this link< which gives a good explanation of what FODMAPs are, and a great 'traffic light' list of foods to eat, eat with caution, or avoid... I'm currently reintroducing FODMAPs after a long period of elimination and am finding that I'm okay with most fructans so far in small quantities. My suspicion is that I can't handle polyols at all. If this is the issue YMMV.

I'd probably try it out for a week or two and see how you go from there.

Archived