La Croix?

amyfillinger

I tried to search for this, but I only found one topic that said La Croix "might" be okay. It's carbonated water with natural flavors, okay or not? It seems like a lot of Paleo people are okay with it. I generally drink plain water, or green tea, but I have been drinking the occasional Lacroix. There are no sweeteners and it does not make me crave anything.. I just wanted to check and see if it was okay or if I was unintentionally not following the program. Thanks!

If you live near a Safeway or Albertson's, the Refreshe store brand makes a sparkling water that is complaint and WAY cheaper.  It's four 12-packs for nine dollars where I am.  Not quite as great as the fancy water, but it works.  I drink a ton of regular water and a ton of sparkling water. 

If you live near a Safeway or Albertson's, the Refreshe store brand makes a sparkling water that is complaint and WAY cheaper.  It's four 12-packs for nine dollars where I am.  Not quite as great as the fancy water, but it works.  I drink a ton of regular water and a ton of sparkling water.

I saw the refreshe at Safeway and it had artificial sweetener. I checked 4 different flavors. Maybe you found some that doesn't have it. I'd love to be able to get a few compliant ones, for sure!! I found one without aspartame, but it still had "acesulfame potassium", which I believe is also an artificial sweetener. But this was what was listed on most of them "carbonated water, citric acid, natural flavor, potassium citrate, aspartame, potassium benzoate (a preservative), acesulfame potassium"

• Moderators

I saw the refreshe at Safeway and it had artificial sweetener. I checked 4 different flavors. Maybe you found some that doesn't have it. I'd love to be able to get a few compliant ones, for sure!! I found one without aspartame, but it still had "acesulfame potassium", which I believe is also an artificial sweetener. But this was what was listed on most of them "carbonated water, citric acid, natural flavor, potassium citrate, aspartame, potassium benzoate (a preservative), acesulfame potassium"

You're right that aspartame and acesulfame potassium (or acesulfame K) are artificial sweeteners, and these wouldn't be okay for Whole30. I don't shop at those stores so I'm not sure which ones, if any, are compliant. When I want fizzy water, sometimes I get LaCroix (check at Target, they're on sale there fairly often), but often I just get plain sparkling water and add a squeeze of lemon or lime. 

I get my La Croix at a local discount store and I think it's around $.19/can or less if I buy in bulk so it's probably my cheapest option! I've seen them at Target but it's cheaper where I buy them. I haven't tried any odd sounding flavors, so it sounds like I am in the clear. For anyone wanting to try it, Orange and Cerise Lemon have been my favorites! I bought a case of Berry and it's okay, lime was also okay. 

There are definitely a lot of Refreshe artificially-sweetened seltzers, BUT if I remember right there are also plain seltzers with only natural flavors added. I think they come in cans only.

I still haven't found a flavored anything that I enjoy, so I guess I'm sticking with Perrier and water, which is fine with me. I may split a case with a co-worker or something to try a new flavor of the La Croix's, but call me crazy, but it just seems simple enough to stick with the plain and call it good.

Archived