Oil hierarchy ? Best of the worst?

katerpa

I was able to be compliant with oils and fat choices during the whole 30. Now afterwards I am more lazy and want to buy some prepackaged foods. I noticed a lot of things are compliant besides one ingredient "sunflower oil" how does everyone feel about noncompliant oils after the whole 30 and which ones are the best of the worst? Sunflower versus corn versus canola versus others?

Honestly it totally depends on how you react to each one personally.

For me - corn and soybean oil are completely out. Simply because how I react to these oils.  It's uncomfortable at best and painful at worst.

Canola and Sunflower are a maybe - They give me an minor AI flare that sometimes I may consider worth it as it passes fairly quickly.

There's a really great breakdown on oils here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

Reactions however are mostly personal :) I don't tolerate canola or soybean well. Corn oil practically doesn't exist here, so doubt I've ever had any.

Seed oils I don't do well with, including flax oil. The only one I tolerate is sesame oil, but I only drizzle it on top sometimes, never cook with it.

Generally I avoid the high PUFAs.

I like: coconut, olive, macadamia and the occasional teaspoon of sesame.

Archived