Tessemae's Mayonnaise

PamelaG

Tessemae's Mayonnaise is listed as Whole 30 compliant but it contains sunflower oil (ingredients listed below) which I cannot find as compliant unless I am missing some very fine print. Help!

Organic Sunflower Oil, Water, Salted Cage Free Egg Yolks (Cage Free Egg Yolks, Salt), Mustard (Water, Mustard Seed, Organic Vinegar, Salt), Lemon Juice, Organic Cider Vinegar, Organic Distilled Vinegar, Mustard Seed, Sea Salt.

• Moderators

Sunflower oil is technically compliant, but not a great choice -- this is what the Can I Have list says about it:

Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yesreluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

A recent thread pointed out that their Chesapeake mayo uses olive oil instead, so if you're looking at buying from them, you could go for that version. If you already have the mayo, it is technically compliant, but not something you'd want to use in massive quantities. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived