Starting 2/13/16 - My Whole30 Diary

Madison_LH

Hey guys!

I'm Madison and I'm new to the Whole30 forum but not to the program.  I successfully completed my first Whole30 in July of last year and was amazed by the results.  Since then I've gone back to my old eating habits and made several half-hearted attempts at a second Whole30, but never got past a week or so.  One major factor contributing to my success at my first attempt was my mom doing it alongside me - I've tried to go solo on all attempts since then.  That's why I'm joining the forum and hoping to use this thread to journal my experience this time.

Currently I've gained back the 8 or so pounds I lost during my original Whole30.  I've also been stress-eating extensively and just feeling all-around lousy.  I noticed during my first Whole30 that sugar seems to give me legitimate anxiety and insomnia, and yet somehow I still find excuses to load up on it anyways.  I'm feeling overwhelmed and out of control due to my sugar habit and really need a swift kick in the rear to get back on track!

A note for my first week - I currently have a full container of plain (unsweetened/unflavored) Greek yogurt in my refrigerator that I will be eating for breakfast as I don't want it to go to waste.  I understand that this doesn't follow the strictest guidelines of the Whole30, but I don't want to throw it out or to wait until I've finished it off to start.  After it's gone I won't be replacing it.

I already know that Sunday will be my first major test as I'm going to a "gal-entines" event with some friends where there is bound to be lots of chocolate.  I'm excited to use this thread as a journal to track progress and accountability!  I'm not sure how often I will post - I feel like I'd like to do once a day but that might get overwhelming.  We'll see.

Here goes nothing!

Your Whole 30 or a container of yogurt?  There really is no point in starting if you don't get rid of dairy and sugar (lots of lactose in yogurt). You are certainly welcome to make a plan of your own but eating yogurt is really not going to give you a good start on a compliant Whole 30.  Your breakfast needs to be vegetables and protein and lots of it so yogurt at its best would fill you up and make it hard to eat enough. It might actually mess up the rest of your day because of the sugar and make it hard to resist off-plan foods.  Maybe you should eat a lot of yogurt, go to your Valentines thing and then really start if you want to do it compliantly, just saying.  But all up to you,of course. 

1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt contains 11 grams of protein and only 3 grams of sugar, so I don't feel like it's an awful choice. I don't want to waste a week of eating like crap while I'm waiting to finish a container of yogurt, so I'm just going to go ahead and start eating compliant in every other way. I don't feel like it will be any big thing to just discontinue the yogurt when it's gone, but to each his own!

Archived