Feeling lost on day 29

Pigeon

Hi guys I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm on day 29 of my Whole30 and I've seen so many improvements, like no big ME flares, no payback. I'm recovering so much quicker, I still get drained easily, but it takes minutes or hours not days now. My dust allergy seems to have gone. My sleep however is upside down and I can't shift it back around, I'm sleeping through all the daylight and I really hate being up all night trapped in the house having to be quiet. My mood is really low today, I'm on the edge of tears, for no reason, this is the first time during the diet.

smile emoticonbut things still aren't right. 

I have been diagnosed with ME and IBS (possible celiac) and hip bursitis, oh and eczema. I've been gradually making dietary changes for years improving my health, so my diet was dairy and gluten free, light on the grains and legumes before starting, but big on sugar. 
I had mild symptoms initially, I hit tiger blood on day 8, but I did too much, flared my hips which, messed my sleep up etc.

Since then I've been feeling good but worn easily, not sleeping well still. I've been feeling restless and frustrated.

My stomach had not been healing right up until on day 24 when I realised that I felt like I'd eaten soy, swollen, bloated, difficultiy going feeling like I need to go all the time, knowing there is no soy in my diet I removed Cocoa the only legume left in my diet, it is starting to heal. I just don't know where to go from here really should I extend? should I do a slow roll? should I try AIP? Help !

I've also been struggling to eat the template amount at meals, but because I'm mostly extremely sedentary, with some gentle walking and occasional restorative yoga, I initially lost a little circumference but my jeans are remaining comfy and I'm happy with that, I started at a healthy weight, so I've been comforted that way that I'm not under eating. Just any help or support would be very gratefully received. I'm feeling lost and I know the diet is definitely helping, but I don't know where to go from here.

ME is myalgic encephalomyelitis? (aka CFS)

Sleep deprivation makes you feel just awful and it sounds like everything feels upside down right now. Take a deep breath, you can get through this, you've done amazing things already.

I think it would be good to extend if you think the cocoa was causing problems, some people are sensitive to both cocoa and coffee. You may not need the AIP, just some more time.

If it's hard to eat a whole template meal in one go, eat as much as you can (go around the plate so you get a balance) and then eat the rest later. Some people need more than 3 meals if they can't eat a full meal at once.

Are you taking any magnesium supplements?

Any medications that might be keeping you awake? (I used to have to take steroids and they often kept me awake through the night).

Did anything change before the change in sleep?

Yes, it's Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

My sleep and everything were brilliant by day 4 until day 8, as I said I hit tiger blood, the best I've felt in years. But because I felt so good I couldn't stop myself from running, It was amazing :-)

My bursitis swole up that night, it affects both hips, and it hasn't gone away, it's disturbing my sleep badly.

Pre Whole30 I'd use antihistamine sleeping pills, short term to help me sleep properly to heal. I was thinking of going to get some tomorrow.

I've found out why I'm feeling so low today, I had some spicy sauce yesterday, to spite my asking if it was safe, I've since found out there was gluten. So I'm going to be out of sorts for the next few days. I feel better for knowing that. 

Thank you so much for the advice, I'll try some magnesium tomorrow any recommendations?

Oh sorry I forgot to add the only meds I take are co-codamol occasionally for pain.

A lot of people like Natural Calm and take it at night as it helps with sleep. You want the unflavoured unsweetened kind.

Oh gluten, it makes me feel like hell too. I highly recommend a restart, although you may want to consider that a gluten Reintroduction as you've had a pretty strong response. I don't know if you really want to Reintroduce it again at the end, given the reaction.

For me, I find keeping up my vitamins helps me clear the gluten out of my system, as well as lots of fluids and rest. Be gentle with yourself, working out might not be a great idea right now.

Archived