Day 31 and beyond; We can Eat.All.The.Things...or can we?

azcoolmom

Day 31! It's been on our minds, if not for the whole 30 days...definitely for the last week. Over the last 30 days we found comfort in knowing what foods were "allowed". Many of us felt huge change in our lives. We liked how we felt.

I lost over 9 lb, was able to stop 4 different medications, I've been able to workout longer & harder than I have in many years. I completed my Whole30 like a champ! So now I can eat "anything", or can I? I decided I liked the guidance, so started with the sample fast track reintroduction

-found here on the website http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

I started with peanut butter on a paleo wrap. I love peanut butter. Been eating it for years! Within an hour, I was horribly congested, sore throat, and miserable. Won't even go into the digestive issues... so peanut butter quickly went to the "it's not worth it" pile. I'm anxious to hear about other's adventures with foods being reintroduced. What are your "not worth it" foods? Were they things you enjoyed previously? Are you replacing them with something more compliant? I'd love to hear stories of everyone's bike ride!

Still riding my bike through reintroduction. Today & tomorrow are "back to Whole30" days -which I'm happy about. Yup. Happy. If you'd have told me, a month ago, that I'd be happy about being back on plan after 30 days...I'd have laughed. After my peanut butter debacle set me back, there's comfort in riding my bike back into the safety of foods that don't harm me. Wow...there...I said it. Foods that harm me. Without this program, I might have never found out which foods harm me. As a matter of fact, I started this to prove it WASN'T food that was the root of any of my problems. I have a powerful autoimmune disease-Ankylosing Spondylitis. It can fuse my spine, take my eyesight and damage my heart, lungs and kidneys. Other than that one thing, I'm in excellent health. Perfect cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides. I was going to prove, because all those factors were so perfect, there was no way any foods were causing this. I was wrong. What was your main driving factor for starting or completing your Whole30?

Love this thread idea.

My motivation is better general health. I'm over the half century mark now and paying more attention to a slowing metabolism and keeping the body in better shape overall.

I have a huge "coffee" addiction, which actually turned out to be an addiction to frothy steamed milk and sugar. So I gave up coffee 8 months ago. Now I'm focused on leaving out sugar and processed foods. All of them.

I guess my approach to post Whole30 could be described as "less obsessive" compared to being on Whole30, but there's little difference to the naked eye. 3 meals of VEGETABLES-Meat-fat, fruit and nuts as condiments with a meal, no snacks, no desserts.

To other people, this looks very restrictive, but to me it sets me free. I don't have to think so hard about "am I going to eat this or that", I just truck along making these meals. Simplicity equals stability to me, and I'm in a good comfort zone. Why would I want to rock that boat?

I've tried a few reintros: peas (not as great as I remembered), corn (doesn't seem to have any effect, but I won't seek it out), and cheese (headaches followed both times, I can live without it). Also had a glass of wine on Valentine's Day (little effect, I could have thrown out the glass after one sip).

So all these offroads that were so full of anticipation for me have mostly fallen flat. And I'm not disappointed, because cravings are non-existent now and I want to look back in a year and see the progress after a year of healthy eating. Why mess with a good thing, right?

The training wheels are totally off. I've been riding my bike through reintroduction and I'm learning much! Thanks to ISWF, I've known what to watch for and avoiding pitfalls. This weekend, we went away for our anniversary. The hubs was concerned about whether I would find things I "could eat", at the various restaurants we've gone to. I did have a celebratory drink...and it was significant, delicious and worth it :) And it's been great finding things I can eat everywhere we've gone. Admittedly there has been sugar in some reintroduced foods...but that sugar Dragon knows better than to show his face. I feel great and will probably do 4-5 days of whole30 to be sure nothing goes amiss. But I feel well prepared and, oh so in control. It's pretty empowering to know I'm calling the shots now on what I will allow food to do to me. I hope you're all enjoying your bike rides and are finding ways to carry on and still feel great. What challenges have you overcome?

It is still a challenge for me to not eat after dinner. I was in a real rut with that and I'm still climbing out of it. I feel I need to come face to face with the craving rather than trying to distract myself. Cravings are temporary and if I don't strengthen them by responding in my habitual way, over and over again, they will gradually lose their power.

After reading a couple of things by Gary Taubes, I eat pretty low carb - I eat all vegetables and fruits, but small amounts of the high carb varieties, 3 meals, no snacks, very small amounts of refined carbs, for celebratory meals only. I think my 70-year old self will be grateful.

So here's a challenge, I guess. I'm finding it hard to do a full-on reintro of anything. Like I had a piece of sprout bread the other day, as a taste test because I want to switch the kids from white bread to whole grains. But I can't bring myself to eat bread at three meals in a day to see what happens. To me, that feels like running off the rails and I'm fearful of not being able to pull back if I do three meals of anything. Plus, these offroads are for only one meal anyway (or so I justify it to myself). So I guess I'm not getting full information on the reintros, and for some reason, I'm fine with it.

@Steger ...I think that's been one of my greatest challenges...eating after dinner. On Whole30, I could say "you can't". So it was easy. Riding my bike, on a celebratory weekend, it was something I really wanted and did it. Quickly I realized I didn't sleep well and the resting heart rate, I was so delighted to see lowered on Whole30, crept up. So you're right, just distracting isn't going to work, and saying "I can't" isn't really addressing it either. Riding our bike is about having choices, whole30 is making the best ones. You've given me new motivation to say I won't eat after dinner. It harms me and my body and undoes the good I've done! And @Xandra, until whole30 I never realized I had replaced sleep with sugar and dealt with stress and anxiety with it. You're right. I feel sooo good now. I can't go back. You all encourage me every day. I've had 60 years to learn the old habits...the path to unlearn is with the people that truly understand the power of whole30. I also haven't done gluten grains yet, on my reintroduction. I may, at some point, but not ready yet. Part of me feels it could open the door to all the "baked goods" and worse, but part of me says I don't miss it, so am not ready to mess with success. Anyone who's done gluten, did you fast track (3 meals) or slow roll...have a bit & then wait to see what happened?

I feel so good waking up in the morning when I haven't eaten refined carbs and have had a good 12 hours without food. It Is clear that refined carbs and late eating affect my sleep - and that I want to eat more the next day because I'm tired and need fuel.

I don't remember how I reintroduced gluten, sorry. I know it doesn't have immediate effects on me, but if I eat too much, it makes me want to eat everything that doesn't run away from me.

I think it's just fine to decide not to reintroduce something when you don't feel ready, for any reason.

So here's a challenge, I guess. I'm finding it hard to do a full-on reintro of anything. Like I had a piece of sprout bread the other day, as a taste test because I want to switch the kids from white bread to whole grains. But I can't bring myself to eat bread at three meals in a day to see what happens. To me, that feels like running off the rails and I'm fearful of not being able to pull back if I do three meals of anything. Plus, these offroads are for only one meal anyway (or so I justify it to myself). So I guess I'm not getting full information on the reintros, and for some reason, I'm fine with it.

Just finished my 3rd W30 and I've done my reintros a bit differently each time. When I did dairy after my first one, i did it by eating dairy once a day for a week. It was something different each day. Didn't go well, much to my disappointment and I didn't know which dairy thing did it. Now I'm doing a day once a week where I test something specific for all three meals. So this weekend I ate yogurt, which is a food I've liked and yay - no bad reaction! So I'm only reintroducing foods (as opposed to whole groups) I'd like to bring back as occasional food but really taking my time about it. So it doesn't feel at all like off-roading, I feel like I'm in control, and I'm getting good information about food that interests me.

Thanks for starting this thread, azcoolmom!
I'm currently on Day 20 of my first Whole30 and have been reading and contemplating my reintroduction strategy.  It's helpful to read how others have handled it or are handling it and to see what others may or may not have had success with along the journey.  I began my Whole 30 for a couple of different reasons-- 1) I've been experiencing some major skin issues that have gone unexplained with no insights from any physicians to this point.  I thought perhaps that I'd tackle the dietary end of things on my own to see if it made a difference.  Unfortunately, it hasn't yet.  2) I needed to get my health back on track and jumpstart some motivation to get in shape and just really nourish myself.  And I've SO appreciated the non-scale emphasis and focus on my emotional and mental relationship with food along this Whole 30 adventure.  That's been a welcome surprise to me!

I think that I'll follow the fast-track reintroduction protocol outlined in the Whole 30 book.  I'm interested to see what foods may not agree with me or what things I just don't care to eat any longer.  I'm also thinking and discussing with friends the idea of choosing a week out of each month to do a Whole 7.  Taking that week out of each month to go back to Whole 30 guidelines and just make sure I'm not straying too far off track or letting that Sugar Dragon take over again.  Reminding myself how great I feel when I nourish my body this way.  But, who knows, after the reintroduction protocol I may end up eating mostly according to the guidelines anyway!  That all remains to be seen yet.

Faced a challenge this week, with a yukky cold. It is funny how ingrained our old habits are. I immediately wanted all my old comfort foods. Thankfully I had gotten far enough along to see that those would only be temporary comfort & leave me struggling, later. I did indulge only in some lemon & honey, one time. The sore throat just wouldn't give me any relief, and I was too miserable to think outside the box. I made lovely chicken bone broth & zoodles and it went with me to work, as well. Amazingly, my cold symptoms lasted only 4-5 days. A friend had made orange juice,pineapple and banana popsicles, with a squeeze of lemon juice and I think that will be my next "go to" item for sore throat in future. They were amazing. I've definitely switched from "fast track" to slow roll on my reintro. I did fast track dairy and non gluten grains and that was ok, though white rice made my heart race, like a pure sugar fix. Fast tracking legumes was not ok and am proceeding more slowly now. I'm very happy with where I am. Essentially whole30 most of the time. Enjoying finding new ways to prepare foods I love and that don't hurt me. I don't miss dairy, like I thought I would. Knowing I can have it, if the occasion arises and it's significant or delicious or "worth it", makes it pretty easy. But knowing if I go back to my old habits, all the benefits I'm enjoying today could be gone...makes this part of the journey so meaningful. I mean seriously! If my immune system is sooo happy that it knocked this cold flat in a few days, who am I to argue? How are your reintros going? What challenges have new foods given you? Which ones ARE worth it? And what post Whole30 benefits are you enjoying?

• 1 month later...

Nearly 60 days past whole30... and yes, the magic continues. I've been riding my bike, and even took her off-road on vacation, but found that all the vacation foods I looked forward to came with strings attached. Oddly enough,I kept thinking they're not significant enough to be "worth it". Feeling this good, being able to stop 4 different medications, and having a healthy resting heart rate IS worth it. The biggest thing I've noticed, is food no longer controls me. The "reward" part of my thinking is no longer connected to food. I'm still trying to decide if this is from completing whole30 successfully and breaking the cycle in that 30 days, or if it's because the foods I used to reward myself in the past, can harm me and I'm not willing to go there. As Melissa says...this is the BEST science experiment, because it's uniquely ours! How is your experiment going??

I added back sweet peas with no problem which is awesome as I love peas. (I know it's weird, no judgement) Tried corn, a gluten free wrap and risotto. Tons of bloating and heartburn. Now I'm up to day 7 and have crazy itchiness after adding dairy. This makes me so sad. Though it's possible it was the carrageenan in the cream not the dairy itself. This sample size of 1 thing is both cool and terrible. Thank goodness the peas worked out. Not so hopeful about Friday's gluten.

This is such a loaded question.  A good one.  One size does not fit all.   

Generally speaking.  No.  You cannot eat all the things.  There are so many variables but I can only vouch for myself.  If you've spent years or decades dieting....eating all of the things without a shut off valve is thrill or binge eating.

If you're coming at it from food sensitivities,  Crohns, IBS, AIP, FODMAP, T1 AND T2....you still can't eat all of the things. 

Food addictions.  Nope.   There may be highly-refined-deliberately-engineered-to be craved foods that will always dig a deep hole for us.  Trigger foods.  Death by lack of Cheetos seems highly unlikely.

Brain chemistry.   Not having a shut-off valve or knowing when to tie the sack off before it bursts at the seams.   Seldom seen in the animal kingdom unless it's forced in a lab situation.   May not be able to eat all of the things without suffering the consequences of no shut-off valve with trigger foods.

Food obsessions.  Food disorders.   Food addictions.  May not be able to eat all the things.

There are people who can eat all the things.  They've never had a problem with food as the apex of their life.   It's fuel.  That's all.   It would be hard for them to imagine not being able to tie the sack off before it's too full or using food for a lover and a friend.  That's not their mode or even in their wheelhouse. 

They can take one bite and walk away.  Buffets do not make their eyes open wide or give them a thrill. Ain't no big deal.  They don't hide food or eat in their car.   These people can eat all of the things.  Here a little, there a little and meh,  walk away.  

Most of these people didn't start dieting in their youth and completely mess up their relationship with food.   I love these people.   They went through puberty and let their brain fully develop to the mid 20's without dieting, counting calories, weighing and measuring out food portions.   They did not pay someone every week to hop on a scale surrounded by peers.

Nope.   So they can eat all of the things all of the days of their life with weight stability and sanity.  I wish I'd met these people so they could've told me....never ever start dieting.  You'll regret it and I really do.

I want to be one of them.  With a shut-off valve. Tie the sack off before it bursts open.  I don't want to eat all of the things unless it means I'm tooling along with a bite here and there like they do.  No big whoop just part of the normal course of a day.  

I want a redonkulousy normal relationship with food.  Like them.

Choices and Consequences.   The bottomline.

We can choose to eat all of the things with consequences.  Massive quantities or tiny micro-bites, and everything inbetween...consequences.   The decision is ours.

I used to let my body make these decisions.  It didn't give two hoots about the consequences.  I still have to think things through.  It did not become automatic.  I messed things up with dieting.   I have to think and weigh the consequences....especially with random foods that are refined/carb/sugars.

I added back sweet peas with no problem which is awesome as I love peas. (I know it's weird, no judgement) Tried corn, a gluten free wrap and risotto. Tons of bloating and heartburn. Now I'm up to day 7 and have crazy itchiness after adding dairy. This makes me so sad. Though it's possible it was the carrageenan in the cream not the dairy itself. This sample size of 1 thing is both cool and terrible. Thank goodness the peas worked out. Not so hopeful about Friday's gluten.

I was itchy yesterday and the only thing I introduced was non-compliant almond milk in my chia seed pudding for breakfast. Maybe carrageenan or the soy lecithin... going to read the label better and explore.

@maktak I have found that when I reintroduced dairy, my seasonal allergies returned like gangbusters. I had to take claritin for 2 days. Not sure if your itchiness could be a latent allergy, that surfaces when our immune system is stimulated by foods that react that way for us. For me, Dairy isn't worth it. I'm happy not having allergies most of the year. Knowing I CAN have it, and it's not completely harmful....but a real irritant...makes me put it in the ONLY occasionally category. And I'm ok with that. But at least I know the consequences. 

Oh @MeadowLily - You totally GET the whole idea behind my post. When on Whole30 I read so many people saying "when I'm off this and can have" or "the week after I complete I have a wedding, vacation or? and want to eat "normally".  And I really wanted people to think, yes, on paper you can now eat all the things. But SHOULD you? You are now smarter, more in tune with your body. So take that information and go forth and be healthy.  For me now, Whole30 is normal.... and I know the foods that harm me. Or don't allow me to live the most healthy life, I can. I love the way I feel. I still have energy, sleep well and am virtually pain free. I've still been able to eliminate the 4 medications I had to take previously. I know not everyone feels the same magic. But there was definitely something to learn from our Whole30

I do find my relationship with food is better, as well. That's definitely harder. I do use the checklist to check the "worth it" level of what I want. And I do try to see if it's just a craving or am I really hungry. One thing I have found, and can rejoice in, is that if I do eat something loaded with sugar. my leptin kicks in big time and says "OK that is ENOUGH!". Normally if there was a bag of reeses peanut butter cups, I'd eat 5 or 10 before I knew it. Now if I have something like that...and if I take my time (no wolfing it down, that is against the "rules") I am done at one and pretty much do not care to have anything sweet for days on end. That's something new for me. I was pretty sure my Leptin had up and gone. Never to return. Nope.... she's back and rockin' it like a champ. For that I am eternally grateful. I do know I will have to maintain a healthy lifestyle to keep from becoming leptin and insulin resistant again. But I'm up to the task. Plus I am still losing weight while eating foods I like, a lot!  Treated myself to Nom, Nom Paleo cookbook and Well Fed 1 cookbooks.  Has anyone else noticed their leptin coming back to pay them a visit? Or is she still pretty shy? 

Everyone's so worth it moments are individual and taylored to tastes and culture.  Culture is just another fancy word for your Mom's cooking.   After months of doing this, sugary baked goods and  straight sugar candy doesn't entice me.   

I like real meals with real foods. Steaks, ribs, chops, brisket, fish. Chinese - fish/vege. Italian meatballs and so on. Going out to a restaurant works for me.  I leave it all right there on the table including homemade noodles I did not finish.  I no longer need to fall back into bowls of pasta or pizza.  A smaller amount and it is enough. I don't wad the tablecloth up and drag the bread basket or leftovers home.  It's a leaverite.  I leave it right there.   I flip that switch and come on home.   I don't eat alone.  I'm with company. The food is great but not the central attraction. 

My question.  Why do you think many think of candy first and not actual meals?

Later on,  I'm not dwelling on the food as the apex of my life.   Truthfully,  our homecooked meals are almost always better.  It's the mental, physical, social and emotional connections of being with our family and friends. 

At the hospital recently, went to the cafeteria for a bite.  The food was excellent, real cod and vegetables for the main entree.  Delish.

There were motivational posters all around.  One quote is really sticking with me.   

"Eliminating all of your favorite foods causes food obsessions and is not mentally healthy." 

The so worth it moments are necessary.  Perfection eating is not sustainable for me.

Archived