Roasted Winter Squash or Pumpkin

nutmegananne

This is a very yummy side dish. It's simple, but does take some work (mainly peeling and slicing).

Basically, take any winter squash you like (or pie pumpkin), peel, scoop out the seeds and strings, and slice into pieces 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Try to get the slices as uniformly thick as possible. Toss in your fat of choice (olive or coconut oil, lard, melted ghee, etc), and spread in one layer on a cookie sheet. I use a convection oven at 400, so I'd say about 375 in a regular oven. Bake until the pieces are soft on the inside and slightly browning on the outside. I don't usually turn mine at all, but I do check them regularly. I love to season them with a Cajun spice blend, and then drizzle them with a balsamic reduction I have made, but I think they'd also be good with garlic salt, or maybe even "sweeter" spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

I make roasted squash often. It is yummy! In fact roasting is my favorite way to prepare most veggies. I love roasted brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus(my personal favorite), etc. etc. I used to make a pasta dish where I'd roast a bunch of veggies and then toss with pasta with parmesan cheese and some of the pasta water. Simply but delish. Obviously no longer an option, but I still love the veggies!

I make roasted squash often. It is yummy! In fact roasting is my favorite way to prepare most veggies. I love roasted brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus(my personal favorite), etc. etc. I used to make a pasta dish where I'd roast a bunch of veggies and then toss with pasta with parmesan cheese and some of the pasta water. Simply but delish. Obviously no longer an option, but I still love the veggies!

You can use zucchini noodles instead. Super easy to make and really tasty. I con't consider it a paleoized pasta because it's nothing like pasta, but you'd have an awesome veggie dish. No parm of course.

I have used zucchini noodles for other things, like meatballs. Not sure if it would work with roasted veggies, since it is just another veggie. I eat them as a side dish now.

One other thing I made once that would be paleo/whole 30 friendly, is to roast a butternut squash and then puree it with some chicken broth. Add salt, pepper, a little ginger and you've got a fantastic soup! I can't wait to make that when the weather cools down.

Archived