Torchy's Tacos

mp19

Austin friends, 

I'm so excited to have figured out that Torchy's Tacos will put all your favorite taco ingredients into a bowl for you, instead of in a tortilla. They have all day breakfast tacos where you can get a bacon, egg and potato breakfast taco in a bowl with avocado and cilantro. mmmm. This has been a life saver on busy mornings where I'm scrambling out the door. 

• Moderators

This is nice, but have you asked them about all the ingredients in everything? It's pretty rare for people to use bacon with no sugar -- you have to really seek it out, it's not the norm for your regular bacon. And what kind of seasonings and oils do they use for the potatoes and eggs? Do they add milk to their eggs? They may all be fine, but unless you've asked, you can't really know that.

I don't mean to be overly negative, this is just a reflection of the very strict rules of Whole30 and the fact that it's very, very difficult to find people who just naturally prepare Whole30 compliant food in restaurants, unless you go out of your way to request that it be compliant.

Oh no! You're right. I just got this email back from the store:

Hi Meaghan,

There is soy in the all of the oils we use in the stores. Here is a handy list of pro tips to help you build your baby.

-Vegan-friendly/soy free items ingredients: pickled onions, guacamole**, cabbage fresca, pico de gallo, escabeche carrots, lettuce, fresh avocado. Feel free to mix it up!
-Always ask for corn tortillas (request no margarine on the grill), or order it ‘in a bowl’.
** when ordered as an 8oz side, request “no garnish”

I know this is a pretty light list, we will keep your soy free needs in mind for the future.

Taco Dreams,

Torchy's 

So sad...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived