Starting Saturday 5th March in UK

SharynF

Hi, I am in UK and am desperate to get back into healthy eating after a really tough 8 months. So it's Whole30 time. 

Anyone want to join me? I am spending the next couple of days planning two weeks worth of meals and the shopping lists to match. Then it's all systems go. 

I want to clear my skin - I am 62 and have the worst acne I have ever had. I want to reduce the inflammation in my knees, ankles and fingers. I am hoping that I will become more flexible in my joints. And I hope to start a sensible eating regime that will see me start to lose a ton of weight. 

Last time I did Whole30 it turned into a Whole60 as I felt so good so I am hoping that happens again. 

Wish me luck :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds good Danny. How are you getting on? I have signed up for the daily email as that helped last time. And I have a load of photos on my old laptop of a month's worth of breakfast, lunch and dinner so I am going to check those out for menu inspiration! 

Have a great day

Sharyn (too old from Exeter)  :)

Two days to go and my planning is going well. My new Whole30 book has just been delivered by amazon so that's this afternoon sorted! My two Well Fed cook books are on the table along with a menu template. I have been shopping and bought chicken breasts to brine and freeze, beef steaks, pork mince and loads of veggies. Hubby has been to our friend's farm and brought hoe 18 eggs. 

If it wasn't for tomorrow's long standing dinner date I would start today! 

Raring to go and plenty to gain as well as plenty to lose.

Good luck!! With Well Fed as part of your meal planning you can't go wrong.

I did a January w30 but things have gone a bit to pot since we moved house a fortnight ago. My social life is prohibiting another round right now but I'm going to do 5 strict days Mon- Fri next week to rein myself back in.

Well, today's the day and I have started well. I weighed myself (ugh!) and then spent 30 minutes looking for a tape measure and despite being a sewist I am unable to find one. So that's on today's shopping list along with more avocados to ripen (UK sucks for decent avos) and some unsalted butter to make ghee. 

Breakfast was compliant and eaten within an hour of rising. Two fried eggs (olive oil) on top of baby salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, whole avocado, good OO to drizzle and Himalayan salt ground over. Go me! 

Yes!!!! I am so excited. I just moved to the UK from Califonia and have spent the past eight weeks getting used to all the new food choices and different names. Sharyn was in the thread I joined during my first and most successful whole30 and her meals always sounded so delicious! I work graveyard shifts at a veterinary hospital and have awful eating and exercise habits. I am hoping for a fresh start here.

So, here goes.

D1M1 - 2 eggs fried in ghee, sautéed spinach/kale, with a small swig of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice.

Yes!!!! I am so excited. I just moved to the UK from Califonia and have spent the past eight weeks getting used to all the new food choices and different names. Sharyn was in the thread I joined during my first and most successful whole30 and her meals always sounded so delicious! I work graveyard shifts at a veterinary hospital and have awful eating and exercise habits. I am hoping for a fresh start here.

So, here goes.

D1M1 - 2 eggs fried in ghee, sautéed spinach/kale, with a small swig of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice.

YAY! my Whole30 buddy is here - and Tracy now lives near me so we must meet up. I am going swimming this afternoon. Black coffee in the café afterwards, must remember not to order my usual Saturday hot chocolate   :o

I didn't make it to the gym today but took the dog and kids to the park for some fresh air.  Nice to have sun and not rain for once.

D1M2 bacon potato leek soup with tons of veggies in the soup (potato, swede, spinach, kale). 

I love that soup.  This is my third batch in a row.  I make it in my Instant Pot, which was the first appliance I bought when I arrived in the UK.  Can't live without it.  Food processor was next.  I have a vitamix and a kitchenaid mixer sitting here unused because I haven't yet bought a step-down converter for them.

Day 1 went well - 3 compliant meals although a bit short on added fat. A lovely swim in the outside pool which reopened on 1st March. And no snacks. I ate at 9.20, 1.20 and 8.20 so good gaps between meals too. 

Today I am cooking and prepping.

I am making ghee in my slow cooker for the first time as my new gas hob is so fierce it would burn the butter before it melted.

I am just about to make a batch of blender mayo.

Then it's brining chicken breasts á la Well Fed 1's Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat. One I will save for tomorrow's M1 before my Aquafit class and the rest I will freeze.

And there is a rabbit casserole in another slow cooker. 

That's it for now - it's almost 1.30 and time for Meal 2 (Meal 1 was at 9.20)

Have a good Sunday  :)

Hi guys!, glad to hear you want to team up!

How has your day 2 been going? I'm just on day 7

What are you goals to achieve by the end of the whole 30? I'd love to see them so I can help you with support!

Also if you have any rewards for yourself, once you've finished. If I finish, I'm going to treat myself to a tablet!

Heres a little about me,  I've been trying a low fodmap diet for a while but never been able to keep it up for long. I've found I'm particularly intolerant to some foods but I can get by with a diet of eggs, meat and veg, and tiny amounts of nuts. It definitely tires me out, maybe from low glucose level, but hopefully I can make it through the 30 days, and my digestive system will have a enough time to set the reset button!

My symptoms are acid reflux and IBS, anxiety, dry skin, nocturia, fatigue.... hopefully these will all improve if I keep to my routine!

My goals are 

Eat -   VEG  1/2 a cup, leafy greens 2 cups,   -   Protein (LOTS)  -   nut butter/seeds/nut yogurt - 1 1/2 tablespoons (every other day) -   fruit - 1/2 a cup a day

Stick the this eating routine-     Decide how much   -  Mini Meditation before    -   chew slow  - listen to body, stop if full  -  Sit Up - Wait 1hr before eating again.

Be mindful of     -    Raw food, Bones, manically itching skin/cuticles, sleeping on front, 

Do these Daily-      habit release X2   -  Meditation x2  -   Tapping x 2   -  Practice Piano (this is a big one!)

My Triggers are - crisps, bread, hard nuts, oats, raisons, raw veg, TV (instead of practice)

Sounds like you guys got a good start! I'd be happy to check in every few days and give you support! Day 3 is the hardest I felt.

Best

Danny

One thing I should mention is that I've been cheating a little bit with coconut yogurt and fruit! It's so hard not to have something like that as pudding, but I've had it at least once a day since starting...

I'm gonna really try and make today a day free of it... I'll let you know how I get on. wish me luck!

D

No cheating, please. It is not ok on this forum, thanks.

D1M3 - beef mince with roasted potatoes, butternut squash, swede and parsnips. (Basically, cooked some mince to keep at work with me. Also roasted a pan of veggies. )

Overnights are hardest for me as that is when I am tempted. I did well. Tonight is my lady overnight for two weeks.

Today - D2M1 was Mother's Day breakfast out at Jurys Inn. Kids got to partake of entire buffet. I had fried eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms and a black coffee.

D2M2 potato leek soup.

One thing I should mention is that I've been cheating a little bit with coconut yogurt and fruit! It's so hard not to have something like that as pudding, but I've had it at least once a day since starting...

I'm gonna really try and make today a day free of it... I'll let you know how I get on. wish me luck!

D

Sorry D but you are not on Day 7 if you have been eating coconut yogurt. Try coconut milk instead and you might just get away with it. Good luck buddy 

Hi all! I just wanted to let you know that I also started on March 5th (in the US, though). Usually my first couple days are filled with lots of nausea and I have trouble eating (clearly some sugar-withdrawal issue because I only want sugary things when I'm nauseated). I've been doing pretty well yesterday and today though I did have some nausea after breakfast. I have peppermint tea when that happens since it's supposed to be a stomach-soother. 

I hope everyone else is having a great Day2!

D

Is it the coyo brand? 

Some coconut yoghurts are actually compliant, but more for use in a marinade or in a dish like raita - when eaten with fruit you are just replicating a dessert and this is off limits, even with compliant ingredients, particularly if this is a habit for you. We're looking to change the way you look at food too.

If you're looking for something to cleanse your pallet try something like a handful of olives or something pickled like sauerkraut.

Is it the coyo brand? 

Some coconut yoghurts are actually compliant, but more for use in a marinade or in a dish like raita - when eaten with fruit you are just replicating a dessert and this is off limits, even with compliant ingredients, particularly if this is a habit for you. We're looking to change the way you look at food too.

If you're looking for something to cleanse your pallet try something like a handful of olives or something pickled like sauerkraut.

Danny and I are in UK so I doubt it's coyo - never heard of that one. But if it is I want some to go with my curry!

Just finishing up D2 here. Skipped Mothers Day cream tea this afternoon in favor of a walk along the river.

I added an egg to my potato leek soup at M2 to get some protein in. Not sure if chopped British bacon counts as a protein.

M3 is same as last night - beef mince with roasted veggies.

Back to the gym tomorrow morning 1030.

Survived another set of seven overnight shifts. Day 10 is hardest for me so I'll have to buckle down when we get to that.

D3M1: bacon potato leek soup with spinach and kale and two poached eggs.

I already have batches of well fed chocolate chili and a Bolognese meat sauce that's Paleo so I'll be alternating between those until I finish them up. After this many years of whole 30s, I don't get caught up searching for variety anymore. I just eat what I like.

No bacon is a fat not a protein on whole 30. When eggs are your sole protein source with a meal then a portion is as many as you can hold in your hand - for most people that's at least 3-4. I really really struggle if I eat too light on protein.

Danny and I are in UK so I doubt it's coyo - never heard of that one. But if it is I want some to go with my curry!

Sorry D but you are not on Day 7 if you have been eating coconut yogurt. Try coconut milk instead and you might just get away with it. Good luck buddy 

No cheating, please. It is not ok on this forum, thanks.

D1M3 - beef mince with roasted potatoes, butternut squash, swede and parsnips. (Basically, cooked some mince to keep at work with me. Also roasted a pan of veggies. )

Overnights are hardest for me as that is when I am tempted. I did well. Tonight is my lady overnight for two weeks.

Today - D2M1 was Mother's Day breakfast out at Jurys Inn. Kids got to partake of entire buffet. I had fried eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms and a black coffee.

D2M2 potato leek soup.

Hey everyone!

Yes it is the coya brand, but I have been eating it with fruit after a meal which I guess is SWYPO.

The only thing is SWYPO states that I'll always have a yogurt craving after meals unless I give it up, as it'll 'never be as good as real yogurt'

I actually way prefer the coconut yogurt and I'd choose it over any other yogurt any other day. 

I understand the whole cheating at solitaire idea, but my goal is just to stay off lactose etc for 30 days, not to never have it again. In fact the idea of my whole 30 is to strengthen my digestive system up again so I CAN digest these foods.

I also understand that this is not the case with people without digestive issues, and that they would want to aim for never wanting a dessert for the sake of always being healthy. 

What do you think guys? I'd appreciate your discussion on this!

Best

D

What do you think guys? I'd appreciate your discussion on this!

Rules is rules is rules.

No desserts or SWYPO regardless of your long term intent.

You've not eaten anything off plan so no need to start over, but you may as well get the most from this experience as you can. Replacing an old habit with a new one is never going to help you achieve that. The fact that you're arguing your case to keep it in kind of proves that  ;) 

What you do after your 30 days is of course entirely up to you.....

Thanks!

Also has anyone got any idea how I'm meant to get enough fibre?

Apparently one should eat at least 18-30g of fibre a day,

I have lots of greens etc... but I can never get up to 18g without stuffing myself on veg or fruit.

I don't want to have more than 1/2 pieces of fruit a day, as I'm slightly fructose intolerant. but even when i'm eating kiwi's ( 2/3g per kiwi) and raspberries I'm still struggling with constipation. It's strange I used to crave oats for the taste, but now I'm just craving it to flush my system!

D

I am also in the UK (London) and started March 5th!  

Day 3 now and suffering from a "doped", hazy, hung over feeling.  I guess I find that encouraging - I know kind of weird but it tells me that something is happening and that the way I was eating was probably not the best....  ( an understatement !).  I'm holding out for better things to come.

If I had no effects, I would worry that the program was not working for me since most people feel like this on day three.

I hope things are going well for you/others.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Elsmain

Archived