Where to find salmon with no sugar

lewasser

I am brand new and start date in 2 days. I am in the getting ready phase. I already went to WF this morning to be told they carry no smoked salmon without sugar.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to buy this? I do not eat meat or poultry - so I know I will salmon will be a staple for me. I know I can make my own, but likely won't.. 

Thank you!

• Moderators

Smoked salmon that is compliant is even harder to find than compliant bacon.

Why do you need the salmon to be smoked?  You can eat tinned and fresh salmon, which are significantly easier to find.

That said, my whole foods in Vancouver BC carries compliant lox, which is cured and not smoked... for pretty cheap (comparatively) I can get the trim ends (ugly but tasty) from the packages they make that look nice... try looking for that?

• 2 weeks later...

I am brand new and start date in 2 days. I am in the getting ready phase. I already went to WF this morning to be told they carry no smoked salmon without sugar.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to buy this? I do not eat meat or poultry - so I know I will salmon will be a staple for me. I know I can make my own, but likely won't.. 

Thank you!

Try Trader Joe's, if you have them where you are. I get mine from there for my salmon breakfast scrambles. Pricey, though.

You can make gravlax at home: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/homemade-gravlax/#axzz42ttvQeRW  This is just cured salmon, no smoking involved.  When you omit the sugar, just be careful about the amount of salt so it doesn't get too tough/salty.  You might want to rinse it under cold water once it's done curing (and pat dry after) - I made this with a different recipe that called for rinsing.  It's surprisingly easy and way cheaper per pound than buying lox or gravlax in the store - fresh wild salmon is half the price per pound than lox or gravlax where I am ($10-15/lb vs $20-30/lb).

Archived