It's alive!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here is my newbie Komboo boo question. Once there is success with the mother etc and you are making your own...does it taste like the GT Gingerade if that's what you start with? If not, (plain sounds yucky) is there a way to get that fabulous flavor? I'm so excited about this.

To make a ginger flavor add ginger in the second fermentation after you bottle it (ginger can weaken the mother. So ferment for 1.5-2wks. Bottle, add ginger & cap, drink 2 days later). That said, plain is amazing. Much more fruity and complex that store bought. I have one in green tea, one in green/black tea mix and one in green/oolong tea. Different tea gives totally different flavors so plain isn't really plain at all.

To make a ginger flavor add ginger in the second fermentation after you bottle it (ginger can weaken the mother. So ferment for 1.5-2wks. Bottle, add ginger & cap, drink 2 days later). That said, plain is amazing. Much more fruity and complex that store bought. I have one in green tea, one in green/black tea mix and one in green/oolong tea. Different tea gives totally different flavors so plain isn't really plain at all.

Oh, in that case, I will try it plain first and go from there. It's so cold here in Oregon and I am such a "don't turn the heat on..put a sweatshirt on" person, that I think I should get one of those warmers. I also just ordered 12 cute amber bottles with rubber stoppers from Amazon. :)

I just got a gallon glass container...really it's a serving container with a spout, but it's all I could find at the Walmart with two cranky preschoolers in tow. I got some black tea and I'm gonna kick it off tonight! First batch is gonna get divided and flavored, I think. SO fricking excited.

I just got a gallon glass container...really it's a serving container with a spout, but it's all I could find at the Walmart with two cranky preschoolers in tow. I got some black tea and I'm gonna kick it off tonight! First batch is gonna get divided and flavored, I think. SO fricking excited.

Woot! I just gave away a scoby for the first time today. My neighbor was damned near giggly when he left. I hope you're first batch comes out perfect.

I received my amber bottles with the rubber stoppers yesterday, so I am gearing up to give this a whirl. It's very cold in Oregon so I really couldn't figure out how to keep it warm enough, but I had a brilliant idea. My daughters room (she's really just using it to store the stuff she doesn't want to take to her boyfriend's house) is easy to keep warm. It has it's own baseboard heater. It also has her snake (Allen. He is a Ball Python and icky) so we keep that room warmer already. Allen will be thrilled with the extra warm temp.

I'll start at the beginning of this topic and read everything and let you guys know how it goes. I think there are links to good recipes if I remember right. Off to check it all out. :)

I've been a slacker and haven't done mine yet. I did walk over to Zupans and New Seasons and they don't carry just plain Kombucha. It's all Gingerade or other flavors. I have to use plain, correct? Hopefully Whole Foods will have it.

Robin, did you mean to answer my question about does it have to be plain Kombucha? I still haven't found it, but I forgot to look at Whole Foods yesterday.

Okay, I am going to start at the beginning of this thread and read read read and get going on my scooby-doo now that I have gotten AB Star Wars a little out of my system. :)

Wait, wait, wait. I was in to big of a hurry...

I started with a full bottle (okay, mostly full. I drank some) of GT Dave's Original. To that, I added a couple of cups of really sweet (but not sweet enough) black tea to grow my monster. Once it was big enough (covered the surface of my 32 oz jar), I moved it to my gallon container and brewed the full batch.

Archived