It's alive!

Rebecca, I also forget where you are. Using tapatalk on my Kindle tablet and it doesn't tell me. I just did a search on amazon and found lots of options. My favorite is the pretty vintage looking green one. Kinda spendy, but it may be a birthday present from me to me. :)

That green one was super pretty! I liked that mason jar type one too. I have already cleared a spot on my counter.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In some other thread someone said that kombucha is an acquired taste and to drink five bottles before deciding you don't like it. So I bought three bottles to start. And I like it!!!

All the ones I bought are flavored. Going to save the goobers from these bottles and see if I can grow a scoby. Will also contact someone on my local pastured meat list who was offering scobys a while back. Maybe she's got more by now.

Will be back in a few weeks to report on my progress!

I believe stainless steel is the exception to this. There are some kombucha peeps that firmly believe you should only ferment in glass. I personally don't want to look at the stuff on my counter, so the stainless steel works for me LOL

LOVE. I'm oddly fascinated with my Monster and I like keeping tabs on it!

• 3 weeks later...

I just tasted my first batch of kombucha and it was AMAZING! Nice and zingy like I like it. I bottled a container flavored with ginger and a strawberry lime batch. I am trying a continuous brew so I will be adding more tea tomorrow. Hooray for self sufficiency!!

• 8 months later...

My bf got our first scoby from a coworker recently.  He got to it before I did and split it in half and made two batches...one Pekoe and one Peppermint.  We strained and bottled last night after about 10 days.  probably about 3 days too long as they are fairly vinegary...but OK to drink this first time.

I've now brought one of the monsters home and will be tackling a batch myself.  I plan to do a pekoe/green tea combo and want to do a second quick fermentation with fresh ginger.

What are everyone's favourite tea/flavour combos?

Also, what do the babies look like?  To make two, my bf sliced the bottom off our main mother...but I don't think that actually constitutes a baby does it?

How fun!!

I need to get mine going - I've got a SCOBY 4 layers deep right now!!  I like to do fruits and ginger in my second ferment, and I almost always start with flavored tea (blueberry and hibiscus are my favorites).

The baby (in my jar) looks like a layer of film on the top of the booch that thickens as time goes on (and not too much time, either!)

Archived