Compliant sore throat remedies?

Hey everyone

I've woken up with a nasty cold. I know I can take pseudoephedrine for the sinus drama, but I'm not sure how to treat a really sore throat (hurts to swallow).

Normally I would:

- make tea with honey and lemon

- take a medicated cough lozenge - these either have sugar or artificial sweeteners in them

Obviously I would prefer not to break my Whole30. What would you suggest I do as a treatment - any bright ideas that don't involve the above?

If the above is all I'm left with, which one is a smarter idea, and can I avoid having to start over? My thought is with three weeks left a little bit of honey wouldn't be a big deal - I still have three weeks left to deal with sugar cravings (and I don't have a big problem with sugar anyway).

Thoughts?

• Moderators

I buy a tea - Organic Throat Coat - by Traditional Medicinals that is helpful. If you can't find it, any herbal tea helps with a sore throat. I think hot tea helps as much as medicated lozenges even without honey. And herbal tea gets you drinking more fluids, which is helpful.

What works for me personally: eat 1-2 cloves raw garlic (antibactirial/antiviral properties) and gargle with a tea tree oil/water solution (antiseptic) . Should give your immune system a boost. Get plenty of rest!

Thanks guys, I can work with that. Appreciate all the responses.

Vicky, my lunch has a fair few cloves of (cooked) garlic, so I think I'm good there! I'm also taking echinacea and vitamin D, and am sitting on the couch for today. I should recover pretty quickly, I usually do. :)

I take a product called Sinus and Respiratory by New Chapter whenever I feel like I am coming down with anything or whenever I get sick. It works great for me. IMO, the ingredients aren't only for sinus/respiratory.

I am new to the forum (my first post), but I wanted to jump on this thread because I am a singer and came down with laryngitis on Sunday after both my boys had croup. I am on day 18 now of my Whole 30 and feel amazing otherwise so I don't want to break it, but I have a performance on Saturday and I still have no voice. I am panicking. Everyone says tea with honey but I don't want to do the honey. I've been gargling, drinking plain tea. I will try the garlic and see if I can find some throat coat (I'm assuming that is Whole 30 approved?). If anyone has any other quick recovery tips for a singer who lost her voice, without breaking the Whole 30, please let me know! I used to do a shot of whiskey in a pinch, but that's out. (I hate whiskey anyway, but it does work). Thanks!

Tea made from fresh mint and lemon balm (I have them growing in my garden). Cut leaves, put in cup, add boiling water.

For your sinuses...I use a neti pot and do a saline lavage. It's gross what comes out, but it makes things clear up faster.

• 3 years later...

Hey ladies and gents - I have a pretty gnarly sore throat going on, and I've been downing peppermint tea like there's no tomorrow, but it's not really helping much. Does anyone have any non-honey, non-cough drop ideas that might help soothe it?

• 1 year later...

Came down with a nasty sore throat over the past few days. Normally, I would put honey in my tea, eat creamy oatmeal with milk and lots of fruit, stock up on popsicles, pop throat lozenges, etc. All these things are forbidden on the Whole30.

Any suggestions on sore throat remedies that are compliant (and also actually soothing)? 

• Administrators

From the internet:

Inactive ingredients

Aspartame,Citric Acid,Extract of a Ricola Herb Mixture (Elder,Horehound,Hyssop,Lemon Balm,Linden Flowers,Mallow,Peppermint,Sage,Thyme,Wild Thyme),Isomalt,Natural Cherry Concentrate,Natural Color,Natural Flavors.

Sorry, aspartame is an added (and chemical) sweetener. Read the starting over article below and decide for yourself.....but know that aspartame has a LOT of side effects.

Isomalt is also a sugar substitute which is known to cause bloating, stomach pain and excess gas.

Archived