Canned Coconut Milk

TriathleteWes

I was at the market earlier today and they had 5 different brands of canned coconut milk on the shelf.  3 of them contained coconut extracted as the primary ingredient with added chemical agents.

I purchased Orchids Coconut Milk Gata which now looking appears to be off limits.  Ingredients: Coconut Milk, water, Sodium Metabisuphide.  Disinfectant and preservative agent  :(   Gonna have to return.

The other can I purchased is Thai Kitchen Coconut milk.  Ingredients are coconut, water, and guar gum.  This one should be approved, correct?

Where can one fined "canned coconut milk" I was not able to find any in a can in three different stores, is this something found in the average grocery or would I have to look in a specialty store? I found the ones in cartons but none in cans, also is there a difference in the two?

• Moderators

It's usually in the ethnic foods aisle of the grocery store.  I've never had a problem finding it in a standard grocery.  If you can find it in cartons that doesn't have any non compliant ingredients then you can use that too.

Just make sure whatever you find, you read the ingredients to make sure it's compliant... a lot of brands put some pretty nasty and unnecessary things in their products.

Just for comparison, locally (Australia) I get canned Ayam Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream, only ingredients are coconut and water.

If your local grocery doesn't have it, you could try an ethnic food store, coconut milk is common in Thai, Indian, Malaysian and quite a few other cuisines.

Where are you located Bobbiy74?

Archived