I have been doing whole30 for 8 days; however, I had to start over so technically day 4 for me.  It seems no matter what fruits or veggies I eat, I end up with terrible gas & diarrhea.  My intestines are so inflamed and sore.  I have juiced in the past with no problems.  Many years ago, I had diverticulitis.  I am afraid that with constant bowel issues on whole30, it may cause a reoccurrence.   Any ideas on what is causing such terrible inflammation/loose stools?  

Veggies I eat: lettuce, raw carrots, cooked cauliflower, cucumbers, cooked red peppers in dishes, cooked onions, raw and cooked tomatoes, baked kale chips

Fruits: strawberries, melon, blueberries, bananas, citrus, pineapple, lemon juice, cherry juice, dates, avocados, apples

protein: eggs, chicken, beef, turkey, cashews, almonds 

drinks: water, water with lemon, sparking water, coffee with almond milk (once in awhile), hot tea, 100% fruit juice (rarely) 

Hey there - sorry to hear you're having some issues...

It may be just the way you've listed your foods, but it looks to me like you're having a lot of fruit so that could be a problem.

Also, cauliflower, peppers, onions &  tomatoes can be troublesome - as can nuts (which are in fact a fat source for Whole 30 purposes rather than a protein.)

It might be more helpful if you could list a few days worth of typical meals so that we can get an idea of the quantities you are eating of each food item so that we are better equipped to troubleshoot.

As an aside your 100% fruit juice is fine for use in cooking or for adding a splash to flavour some water, but should not be drunk as is.

I'm a noob here and no expert, but from what I've seen in other threads about GI difficulties during Whole30, I recognize a lot of those foods as high-FODMAP, which might be irritating your system.

Again, not an expert, but I were in your shoes, I'd make some compliant mashed potatoes and get a mug of hot homemade stock. I know that when I have an upset stomach or indigestion, something bland and carby is what I can handle. Also, homemade stock has a lot of good stuf in it that will promote gut healing. It's also full of nutrients and easy on digestion.

• 1 month later...

I'm in almost the same boat. And my foods are similar except I eat far less fruit (usually an apple or banana every couple of days with a meal), fewer nuts/seeds (usually almonds or sunflower seeds in a salad), and potatoes pretty much every morning with breakfast. When I have a salad, I make sure it's mostly baby spinach and my green veggies of choice are green beans or broccoli along with protein and fat, of course.

I'm on day 25 and have started having pain where it hurt when I had diverticulitis (10 years ago). My plan is to incorporate Benefiber in the morning and cut out on the high FODMAP vegetables for a few days and see if it helps. I've also started taking a probiotic (compliant - amazing how many have soy!) and drinking kombucha (GTS brand). Fingers crossed because landing in the hospital is no fun!

Hope you manage to figure out what what is causing your discomfort - I'm right there with you!

Archived