anchovies, sardines, herring

starxlr8

I've never had any of these save for some anchovy in dressings or sauces, but since I love salty foods I'm curious to try. For the small fish experts, how do you like to include them in your Whole30 meal plan?

I keep tins on hand for when I need quick food when I'm on the go. So I keep some in my desk drawer at work, and at home so I can toss in a bag as I'm running out the door, or when I am feeling peckish and don't have and hardboiled eggs made, etc.

• Moderators

I eat a can of sardines packed in water as my post-workout meal. I squirt some yellow mustard on them and eat 'em with a fork. Last night I needed a little more food before bed, so I ate a can of sardines packed in olive oil and a peach. I learned to eat sardines from a co-worker who used them as the protein for salads. 

I've been eating fish straight out of a tin with my dad since I was a kid.....

Mackerel I like for salads as it has a nice meaty texture.

Sardines I like for an on the go protein source. We can get sardines in a sugar free tomato paste here which is good, or plain old EVOO.

Anchovies I add to a crock pot pork recipe I use every so often.

We eat a dish here called potted herring, which is herring marinated in vinegar & rolled tightly from the tail to the tip (sometimes  with bay leaves, sometimes with all spice berries, sometimes both), sprinkled with finely chopped onion (& usually breadcrumbs but almond meal works fine) then baked in the oven until the skin is crispy. Yum.

I'm also a big fan of whitebait (tiny silvery fish thought to be baby herring) - again traditionally coated lightly in flour & fried, but they work just as well shallow fried without flour - eat 'em whole!!

Alright, so most everyone is just eating them straight. I might have to start with something skinless and boneless. To be honest, sardines with skin and guts kind of creeps me out. I can't even do canned salmon with skin and bones. 

Alright, so most everyone is just eating them straight. I might have to start with something skinless and boneless. To be honest, sardines with skin and guts kind of creeps me out. I can't even do canned salmon with skin and bones. 

I can get tinned mackerel fillets (never found a bone in them, ever) in EVOO for very little money where I am. It's a great oily fish, with a meaty texture and not nearly as strong a flavour/smell as sardines - that might be a good place to start.

I love smoked oysters - livens up soups, salads, great on spaghetti squash (with a squeeze of lemon, tabasco sauce).

Anchovies in oil are just fab with boiled eggs. In fact they're great as an umami booster to any sauce.

I second fried whitebait - delish British pub grub (pre-W30 days that is!).

Now, pickled herring is another matter.

I'll eat mostly anything but after a slimy, briney gagging mouthful at a wedding in Holland, it's my kryptonite.

• 4 weeks later...

Omg we looove kippers. They are smoked herring. We also like smoked sardines.

I had a ton of different ways that aren't compliant that we ate them but here are the whole 30 eats we've been doing:

1. Fishy cakes! Use the salmon cakes recipe but replace with one can tuna and one tin of kippers or smoked sardines

2. Chop em up and put in a frittata/omelette.

3. Poach an egg and put it on top of a kipper fillet with mayo and chopped purple onions

4. Fish salad! (Like tuna salad. You can mix one can tuna+one can other fish)

5. Fish bites! Pan fry some green starchy plantain slices, put a little mayo and a little fish piece on each bit.

I've read that you can get little sardines and dredge em in almond flour and pan fry. Not sure if this is entirely compliant. But it sounds good

Number 1 might be your best bet into transitioning you into the wonderfulness that is tiny fishies.

For anchovies I use the paste or a filet or two in sauces but also in things like burger patties/meatloaf for a umami punch. Sometimes you can sauté them until it dissolves in the oil before you sauté some hardy green veggies

Archived