What's for dinner today?

Derval

So what's on your plate this evening?

I had a peppery babyleaf salad and avocado, dressed with olive oil & balsamic, a big rib eye steak and a pile of onions fried in the pan juices while the steak was resting. Very fine meal indeed!

(mods please move if this sits better in a diff forum)

A huge bed of spinach with some meaty, veggie filled Italian sauce (I still want to call it spaghetti sauce even though there's no spaghetti to be found). :)

There's also some leftover steak that's calling my name... would be good reheated and on top of that same bed of spinach.

Hard to tell which one will win... a good problem to have I suppose.

We did the following recipe:

Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin, sliced into 1/2-inch thick medallions

1/2 teaspoon salt, divided

1/4 teaspoon pepper

3 teaspoons olive oil, divided

2 tablespoons chopped shallots

3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup dried tart cherries

Directions

Season the pork medallions with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat and cook the meat until there is just a slight blush in the center about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to a plate and tent with foil.

Add the remaining teaspoon of oil and the shallots to the pan and saute until they begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the cherries and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the sauce over the pork medallions and serve.

With free range chicken broth and substituted golden raisins for the cherries. The reason for the latter is that while our farmer's market does carry organic dried cherries with no sugar added it apparently requires a forgotten ritual performed by druids during the full moon to make them. I can buy about 3 lbs of organic raisins for the same price as 6 oz of dried cherries without sweetener.

We enjoy this recipe for a long time and it was easy to Whole30 up pretty quickly with a couple of label reviews. We are thinking of pulling back some on red meat and might do the same thing with chicken to see how it turns out.

Tonight I had chicken sausage, cayenne-dusted asparagus, some steamed kale and a few blueberries for dessert! I usually cook pretty close to Whole30 compliant (which this meal was) but am officially starting on on April 12th. I'm excited and have been stockpiling Whole30 goodies--coconut butter, lots of hearty vegetables, and some chicken thighs for all kinds of culinary experiments.

Yesterday's dinner was pretty simple on the whole with just some chicken saute'd in basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar on a HUGE salad (romain, spinach, onion, yellow pepper, cucumber, tomato, and avacado).

But the secret enjoyment was a mango "pudding" that I put together where I chopped some mango into the food processor with a splash of coconut milk, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Very Thai with the coconut milk and ginger. The mango was not quite ripe enough so it was more of a nice tart treat than a sweet one, but I have another mango that is now sitting out to ripen a bit more.

.But the secret enjoyment was a mango "pudding" that I put together where I chopped some mango into the food processor with a splash of coconut milk, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Very Thai with the coconut milk and ginger. The mango was not quite ripe enough so it was more of a nice tart treat than a sweet one, but I have another mango that is now sitting out to ripen a bit more.

pre W30 I made a kind of ice-cream by whizzing frozen blueberries with coconut milk in the processor. I wonder would this work with frozen mango too?

Tonight I am doing chicken & dip :)

Chicken has been brined & I'm going to do the spice rub now so it can sit for a few hours...

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

and I'm going to make melissas home made mayo & moroccan dipping sauce.

I'll have some roasted sweet potato & steamed brocolli to dip too, and am doing roasted baby potatoes for the others.

I'm bringing it tonight with a pan roasted duck breast and then roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts.

We also have a crockpot of free range chicken thighs, onion, carrots, celery, lime juice, salt, pepper, and then I had a mason jar of leftover chicken stock from a huge batch of bone-in, skin-on, chicken thights that I poured over the top of that to make it more like a stew. We just keep a big tupperware bin of somekind of already done meat for the week in case we don't have enough leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day.

Archived