Breastfeeding and no energy

Hi all! I need help! I am on day 24 and I am nursing my almost 7 month old. I'm sure it doesn't help that I don't get a full night of sleep with a baby in the house, but I was hoping for more energy once I started my Whole 30. I barely make it through the day and I fall asleep as soon as the baby and toddler are down for the night, which obviously leaves no time for my marriage! I did my first Whole 30 while pregnant, and I definitely feel better this time and it's easier I think besides the exhaustion.

Here's a run down of what a typical day looks like:

• Breakfast: Two eggs with potatoes (sweet or white) and usually a banana and black coffee
  • Lunch: Leftovers from dinner most days, but I usually eat chicken on a salad with sliced almonds or fish on a bed of spinach
  • Dinner: A protein (chicken, steak, or a ground beef recipe), potatoes, and a vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, etc)
  • Snacks: I snack in between meals just when I'm feeling hungry since I don't want to lose my milk supply. An apple, almonds and a hard boiled egg, banana with coconut chips and cashews...

I try to limit fruit or course. I just want some energy and I thought I would see it by now! :( Any advice welcome! TIA!

• Moderators

Nursing moms need four full meals a day, so add another meal, not just a snack. Many also up their fat by drinking coconut milk throughout the day or snacking on olives when they're hungry.

For breakfast, when eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, so probably at least one more or if you prefer, add in another protein source with your two eggs. Instead of the banana, have a bunch of vegetables. Aim for 1-3 cups of vegetables with every meal, and three cups is best, so in addition to your potato, try a couple of big handfuls of sautéed greens or some other veggies.

Salads need to be massive to really be filling -- think about how much those leafy greens wilt down as you chew them. Add some beets, carrots, broccoli, leftover roasted veggies, or whatever other vegetables sound good to your salad to beef it up.

You can definitely add more fat to those meals too -- a big dollop of mayo, an avocado (at least half of one per meal), or a big handful of olives. Don't depend too much on nuts for fat, they're not the best source as they don't have a great omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, they can be food without brakes, and they can cause digestive issues for a lot of people.

Archived