Struggling.

I am 16 weeks pregnant with my third baby, and also still nursing my 17-month-old son throughout the day. The first trimester was plagued with the typical food aversions (you know, to anything remotely healthy) and I survived on bagels and cream cheese and cheese and more cheese... Those first few months are all about survival.

A few weeks ago I started feeling better, no aversions to speak of, and after months of terrible eating and being sedentary (I'm in Oregon and it's been the grossest, darkest, wettest winter of all time, and my kids have been sick pretty much 24/7, and we have been stuck inside recovering and hiding from this relentlessly awful weather) I was feeling sluggish and melancholy and just gross. I have tried to start a couple whole30s but within a few days, anything compliant is abhorrent to me and I order pizza and go back to my old ways.

I want to break through cause I want to feel better and I want to do better for my baby. Though I can't seem to maintain it I do feel SO much better while eating whole30. And there's no moderation in my life- I'm either eating bread and cheese all day or not at all. Sigh.

Any thoughts?

Yes. Go easy on yourself. There will be time for a Whole30. Right now, while you're pregnant, nursing, dealing with multiple illnesses, and generally under the weather, is probably not the time.

Right now, aim to add something healthy that takes less than no time to prepare and that you can eat while doing three things at once, to what you're already doing. Could you add carrot sticks, for instance? Could you drink more water? Could you sip on compliant coconut milk throughout the day? Things like that.

Mainly, go easy on yourself. Really. Whole30 ain't goin' anywhere. Take the pressure off of yourself to do more than you can.

I have bread and cheese pregnancies too.  At some point during the third trimester I was able to get and stay mostly paleo...before that is was impossible.

I know that does not help, but 5 months after I had the baby I did a whole 30, then a few months later I did a whole 60 and everything is back to normal now and I feel great.

Archived