bodybuilding+protein powders

JennyJo103

hello all! im on day 30 and so happy with this meal plan that ive decided to do this on a regular basis! im trying to convince my husband to do this plan because I really do think itll help his sleep problems and low energy. hes willing to do the plan but worried about not using his protein shakes, pre and post workout supplements/ shakes. hes wanting to body build and has read a lot on the body building website and thinks that he needs like 200 g of protein and 300g of carbs. anyone have any suggestions to help him realize that this meal plan will help him build muscle? I thought that doing about two palm sized meats at each meal plus the pre and post workout meats wouldn't get him to 200g of protein (probably about 100-150g) is that going to be enough for him to build muscle?

• Moderators

The body building sites are full of bro science. Bro science is based upon testimonials. Many people who offer testimonials are sincere, but mistaken about what matters. 

The body needs a combination of things to grow muscle. Protein is one thing, but it is NEVER the limiting factor. In other words, body builders always eat more protein than they need to grow muscles. They keep doing it because bro science tells them they should and because it is easy. The other things required to grow muscle are testosterone, a supportive metabolism, rest, and sleep. Those things are routinely the limiting factors. 

I've got biceps and lats that plenty of aspiring bodybuilders would like to have and I haven't drunk a protein shake in over 10 years. I experimented with creatine and beta alanine in 2013 for a few months, but became suspicious they had more of a placebo than a real effect, so never bought another bottle. 

The reason my muscles are as big as they are is that I have a lot of testosterone for a man my age. My doctor asked if I was supplementing because my levels were so high. I don't and never have. The reason my T levels are high is because I have been following the Whole30 program for 6 years and lift weights regularly (although not especially heavy). 

If your husband improved his health and slept more, his testosterone levels would almost certainly rise and he could grow more muscle. And he would be healthy. 

The body building sites are full of bro science. Bro science is based upon testimonials. Many people who offer testimonials are sincere, but mistaken about what matters. 

The body needs a combination of things to grow muscle. Protein is one thing, but it is NEVER the limiting factor. In other words, body builders always eat more protein than they need to grow muscles. They keep doing it because bro science tells them they should and because it is easy. The other things required to grow muscle are testosterone, a supportive metabolism, rest, and sleep. Those things are routinely the limiting factors. 

I've got biceps and lats that plenty of aspiring bodybuilders would like to have and I haven't drunk a protein shake in over 10 years. I experimented with creatine and beta alanine in 2013 for a few months, but became suspicious they had more of a placebo than a real effect, so never bought another bottle. 

The reason my muscles are as big as they are is that I have a lot of testosterone for a man my age. My doctor asked if I was supplementing because my levels were so high. I don't and never have. The reason my T levels are high is because I have been following the Whole30 program for 6 years and lift weights regularly (although not especially heavy). 

If your husband improved his health and slept more, his testosterone levels would almost certainly rise and he could grow more muscle. And he would be healthy. 

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I need!!! Something to tell him that putting good whole food in your body will get you the result you are looking for!

• 1 month later...

hi, sorry, please help. I am on day 1 ( and feel tired)... I been focusing on muscle building with heavy weights for the last year, i am in a pretty good shape, but my diet started to be off because of stress eating. and i am obsessed with protein shakes. I usually was able to "burn off" calories because of heavy work outs, but i dont want to do that anymore and want to give my body the care it deserves. I do have one concern, will i lose muscle on Whole30? also, are there available meal plans for building muscle online?

Thank you!!!!

ioulia

Mixing other meals plans with Whole30 is not going to work. We ask that for 30 days you really listen to your body and feed it what it needs within the parameters of the programme - with the recommended meal template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimal), and a genrous srving of fat. Fruit should be limited to 1-2 fist sized servings a day - with, or as part of a meal 

For preWO have some protein & fat - just a few bites will suffice.

PostWO have a few bites of a lean protein & optional starchy carbs.

No fruit pre or postWO (fruit provides an immediate source of fuel when taken before a WO, and preferentially replenishes liver glycogen when taken postWO when you want to be replenishing muscle glycogen) and no fat after as this slows down absorption of the protein to the muscle.

If you want to retain muscle ensure you eat to the higher end of template for protein, and avoid snacking as this provides your body with a constant supply of fuel when you want your body to learn to tap into it's fat stores.

If you follow the rules AND the recommendations you'll not only retain muscle, you should trade up fat for more lean muscle...

Archived