Paleo in Spain?

Derval

So at the end of the month we are going to Spain on our holidays. We will be staying with my parents who have retired over there.

We eat out every day for lunch :)

The "menu del dia" always starts with a large salad :) and lots of white crusty bread that you dress with tomato concasse and aioli :(

Starters - I will probably stick with the "entermesse" which would be a plate of meats & cheeses and just give the kids my cheese? But I do love the spanish cured goats cheese....Gazpacho has bread in it (boo)

Mains aren't too bad - meat or fish dishes and ocasionally paella...sadly they are not big on veggies, a couple of spoons of jarred carrots!. That comes with fried potatoes cubes or handcut fries, as far as I can tell these are shallow fried in olive oil rather than deep-fried in veg oil.

Deserts - disaster! My holiday favourite was always http://www.spain.info/en/saborea/recetas/pan_de_calatrava.html , which is a caramelised bread custard pudding!

So, after all that, have any of you travelled to Spain while eating paleo? I am willing to ease off on W30 guidelines during my holiday but still want to stay at least primal if not fully paleo.

I've been to Spain twice, but not while eating paleo. That's going to be tough...

You might want to ask your parents to keep the kitchen stocked with fruits and veggies that you can load up on prior to lunch, so you won't be as hungry. Also, can you order an omelet at lunch? (not the one with the potatoes, of course!)

Enjoy your trip!

We always go for the set menu (3 courses + coffee) so ordering off menu isn't an option.

For me, filling up at home and then not eating much when out is not an option :) - dining out is an integeral part of our holidays there....Though I can easily persuade my dad to bbq more at the house..

Well...if you're not going to go off the set menu, and you're not going to fill up at home beforehand, the only other option I can see is for you to eat what you want and call it a day...

I remember reading on some other paleo blog (forget which) that if you're going to go off your normal way of eating, and are willing to suffer the consequences, then make sure the food and/or occasion you're doing it for is worth it. I know from personal experience how good the food is in many parts of Spain so I understand your dilemma. You also have the option of restarting your Whole 30 after you get back. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up...enjoy your time with your family.

-It's been 7 years since my husband and I spent 10 days in Madrid and surrounding area and, from what I recall (was NOT paleo then), I can't imagine it will be too hard to stay on track! We ran into veggies EVERYWHERE at every meal (including hotel breakfasts). My favorite dish was a mixed grilled veggie plate (sea salt, olive oil, yum). The bread might be difficult to turn your back on and certainly most tapas are an issue, but plenty of eggs in a variety of positive dishes! I'm dead-jealous - cannot wait to go back some day! The people were delightful.

Thanks ramsmom. No way am I going to touch the bread, I have it hard wired in my brain now that if I ate it I would get stomach pain. I have no proof of that but believing it makes it easy for me :) I have the same belief about cigarettes (if I had one I would vomit) and it's kept me off them since 2001!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually living in Madrid right now and of all the things I'm saddest about giving up, it's the cheese and the bread. I'm planning on going out to dinner at a fabulous restaurant tomorrow night with a friend and I grilled her about the menu. I wanted to be sure that I can enjoy enough of the food to make it worth the money I'll spend. I've noticed that most of menús del día usually have pretty paleo-friendly options. You mentioned the salad and it seems like there is always some kind of vegetable for the primero. The segundo shouldn't be an issue because almost all the restaurants serve some type of grilled meat with either potatoes cooked in olive oil or a salad. You could see if they have some fruit for dessert. I think most places would be willing to substitute something like that. And like the other posters said, finding fresh fruits and veggies will be no problem (as you probably know since your parents live here). That's one of the things I'll miss most about living here! ¡Buen Provecho!

Thanks Cadence!

I think I will try a bit of the manchego & see how my tummy feels, but will not eat the plastic cheese that sometimes comes with the entermeze (sp?)

Yes I will ask for fruit for desert, good plan . Must check out google translate!

Yes I'm looking fwd to hitting the market and making a huge batch of roasted veg for my breakfasts & snacks.

I think if I avoid gluten & sugar that will be the main thing...

Who knows maybe I'll have a holiday there when I don't gain 5+lbs!

• 2 weeks later...

On way to airport now, wish me luck!!

Have packed meal for airport as flight is at 7pm - baby spinach, egg mayo, Serrano ham.

Snacks for flight & there :

Macadamia nuts mixed with jumbo sultanas

Box of spiced nuts, beef jerky, and parsnip chips.

Bag of dried fruit - pineapple, mango, strawberries and cherries - all oven dried, no added oil or sugar.

Plan is to hit the market on Thurs and get ingredients to make a big breakfast loaf. Lunch will be eaten out in a diff restaurant each day. Minimal dinner. And vino tinto!!!

Archived