Chia Pudding?

KJay290

How does the Whole30 program feel about Chia Pudding? Is this okay? Is it a fake-cheat food?

Consider that each meal should be built to match the recommended meal template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimum), and a generous serving of a healthy fat.

Then consider that chia seeds are a fat, and one that should be eaten in moderation - so maybe a closed handful every other day, max.

Then consider the word pudding....

Nope.

No beuno.

Save it until after your Whole30.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
On 6/5/2016 at 7:41 PM, carly89 said:

what about those that are eating it as a breakfast (a post workout breakfast) and not as a way to get around having a dessert? 

For best results, make all your meals meet the meal template. Chia pudding is not permitted on the program. It's 30 days -- embrace the program fully, follow the meal template. If at the end of 30 days, you think you're better off with chia pudding, it'll still be there and you can go back to it.

Also, post-workout, you want lean protein and possibly some starchy vegetables, chia pudding is not either of those.  Have a few bites of chicken breast or tuna, then go have a real breakfast.

A serving of chia seeds is not only fat, it is also a (albeit small) protein source, much like almond butter. I make a chia seed pudding with almond butter and almond milk to eat at breakfast but I always pair it with hardboiled eggs and some leftover veggies from the day before. It's something quick that I can make the night before and eat quickly in the morning, and I don't mind the texture of the seeds after they've absorbed the milk overnight. It isn't intended as a sweet pick-me-up and isn't eaten as a dessert so I don't see why it's off plan

• Moderators

A serving of chia seeds is about 2 tablespoons.  Both seeds and nuts and their products (butters, milks) are meant to be limited as they are an inferior fat source with their unbalanced Omega 3/6 ratio.  

There are other quick things you can make the day before and eat quickly in the morning that aren't chia pudding.

• 2 months later...

DRATS!  I thought I was so very smart having a banana chia seed pudding for breakfast this morning.  Full fat coconut milk, 2 T chia seeds blended with one frozen banana and some cinnamon.  Half a nectarine on top.  Not as a dessert but as a breakfast!  I don't usually have any fruit, but I just wanted something a bit different.  Then I realized I did not have a protein source so I grabbed a cold sliver of rotisserie chicken.  I came on here just to find out if this kept to the rules.  So..  No more chia seed puddings until I am done. DOUBLE DRATS!

• 7 months later...

Darn. Was hoping chia seed could help with completely stopped digestion. I came to Whole30 as a veg, eating nutrient dense diet, so what's new for me is meat (chicken, turkey and fish so far), no beans and no whole grains. It. Is. Killing. Me... my digestion is just not happening. Lots of water, lots of exercise, and tons of veggies, but my gut just can't get used to meat yet, I guess.  It's day 8, but I did a 14 day last month (before a trip, where I knew I'd drink, so didn't count it) and the same thing happened.  

Any other suggestions?  Thanks

Thanks - yes, the one thing I did was add more fat. I've even added coconut oil to my decaf, in hopes that will help. I drink a ton of water, always have, so don't think that's it. 

Do you have a suggestion for a compliant enzyme? I've been avoiding as my philosophy was always if we need to add enzymes to digest it, we probably shouldn't be eating it! But in this case, that's probably what I need right now.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi, so I'm on day three and just read this from a Whole 30 article on the website: "and put away the chia pudding for a month."

I never saw this until now. I know seeds are supposed to be in moderation, but I prepared a mix of chia, flax and hemp with almond milk, some slivered almonds and a small amount of diced up strawberry and banana. Around a cup worth of food once it sat overnight. This was to supplement a veggie egg breakfast muffin with prosciutto crumbles this morning.  I did this because I tend to like a variety of taste and options in a meal.. the pudding was not intended to satisfy any cravings (I didn't realize it was apart of the "no pankcakes, etc." sort of rule even though it's compliant). I only even had two spoons of it because I was full - about 4/5 of the cup remains currently.

Do I need to restart, or is that fine? Further, is having a cup of this around for a few bites with breakfast every now and then as a meal addition okay? Or do I need to throw away the remainder of the mix?

Archived