Whole30 with Ileostomy

Has anyone done a W30 with an ileostomy? I've had 3 surgeries in 3 months and have another one coming up in about 6 weeks (possibly reversal of stoma). My ileo is 3 months old. I've done several Whole30s prior to having an ileo. One of my concerns is that I haven't tried eating raw vegetables or leafy greens with my ileo yet. I understand they can cause problems. Also, I lose weight after each surgery and usually can put it back on within a few weeks, but I don't want to lose any weight with this W30 due to another upcoming surgery. I just want to be as healthy as possible going into it :) Any suggestions or tips are very much appreciated. 

Currently, I am eating a handful of foods that will be off limits with the whole30. Cottage cheese and noosa yogurt are two that I keep around because they are easy to digest and high(ish) in protein. I also eat Outshine popsicles to help keep my fluid intake up. I have also been eating cheese. Those will be the major things that I will have to give up. 

• Moderators

I don't have experience with an ileostomy, maybe someone else can weigh in on that, but I would say, don't try to eat things that might cause problems. It's fine to not eat raw vegetables or leafy greens. Cooked vegetables typically are easier to digest, and people usually can eat more volume of them than raw vegetables, so that should actually be helpful as far as trying to keep weight on.

Here is an article about keeping weight on during a Whole30 that might be helpful for you. Obviously, if any of those suggestions would cause you issues, don't do them.

Is drinking water a problem? I notice you say you're eating popsicles for the fluids. You'll need to find something to get in fluids still -- maybe soups or drinking broth throughout the day would work?

Water isn't an issue, but with an ileo, water/fluid intake needs to be even higher than usual, so popsicles are just another way for me to get more fluids. Thank you for the suggestions! Broth and soups are perfect! I'm going to read that article too :) 

You can also make compliant popsicles from tea or water, even broth or soup if you're really keen :)

Since fluid is very important, make sure you're getting enough magnesium and sodium (without processed food your sodium intake will likely drop).

My favourite soup: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/ :) I make mine with chicken bone broth.

I'm currently doing my first Whole30 with a colostomy. I'm missing a lot of bowel so it actually functions more like an ileostomy. I know we don't have the same food/fibre restrictions as an ileo but I'm finding it ok. My output has slowed and thickened up and I'm suspecting some adhesions might be causing a few issues, but this was happening before my Whole30 anyway.

I usually rely on Hydralyte or Gastrolyte popsicles to help me keep my fluids and electrolytes in balance but so far I've been okay. I find adding salt and some lime juice to my water usually does a similar thing for me anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else have any experience doing Whole30 with an ileostomy? A poster in an ostomy group on fb said her output became very thick, to the point where her bag is leaking and her skin is starting to breakdown. I’d like to give Whole30 a try, but the skin around my stoma is already red and irritated, so I don’t know if it’s something I should try or not. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2017 at 11:35 PM, partyweetow said:

Anyone else have any experience doing Whole30 with an ileostomy? A poster in an ostomy group on fb said her output became very thick, to the point where her bag is leaking and her skin is starting to breakdown. I’d like to give Whole30 a try, but the skin around my stoma is already red and irritated, so I don’t know if it’s something I should try or not. 

I had a colostomy for a while and they were able to give me a tube of preparation to use to help with the irritation around the stoma.  Check with your doctor or an ostomy nurse. 

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to start my first Whole30 on January 1st, and I have an ileostomy. I've had mine for 10 years, so I know pretty well what foods it can and cannot handle, and what times of day are best for certain foods. I can't speak from previous Whole30 experience, but after reading through a lot of materials and recipes I'll share what my plans are. Raw veggies and fruits are okay for me as long as I don't eat too much at one time, and as long as I drink A LOT of water with them. I've found that if I eat meat with them, veggies and fruit will digest more smoothly than they would if I ate raw veggies alone. My plan is to go heavy on the veggies and fruits in the morning and early afternoon-- especially raw veggies and fruit. Followed by a lot of water. My ileo system can't handle a lot of veggies and/or fruit at night, or I will wake up to a leaky bag at 3:00 AM. So my evening meal will have less veggies than my morning and noon meal. It may not be ideal, but that's what will work best for me. I hope this info helps a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @lindseyranae and @Snicci : did you start your Whole30? I have a permanent ileostomy too (since Jan 2017) and started on Jan 2nd. So far I've only had issues with too thick output once and like you it happened in the middle of the night and was because of too much fibers too late in the day. I would agree with your tips of not too much fibers and limiting it to the morning and the afternoon and in fact I realised too that eating fruits with my meal, as opposed to on their own seem to help me digest them better, therefore avoid the possible "pankaking" and ensuing bag leaking. I have to say though that in the past (before starting whole30) when I had the very thick output it also came with a lot of water, like two very different outputs, that followed one another in very short bouts and I think that water was what caused the leakage. But now even though I still get thick output on the whole30, it seems to be all incorporated, very homogeneous therefore does not cause leakage.

I would also like to add that my peristomal skin, which was pretty much always red or raw, was completely healed after day 4! I am not sure if it's the less frequent bag leaking, the better digestion, the lesser inflammation or a combination of all but I'm on day 8 and this one little thing has really sold me on the whole30! 

One last tip/suggestion I would like to share is to use cooked vegetables whenever possible, as opposed to raw. It's winter now so we have such a nice assortment, what between all the squashes, sweet potatoes... they are great warm and easily incorporated into any meals. Now, the only veggies I eat at supper are pureed or very well cooked. 

Of course, lots of water is always a must. I drink 2-3 liters per day. 

Good luck to all the stomates out there!

Hi Lindseyranae and Julie.  I've had an ileostomy for 25 years.  I will be starting my first round on Monday.  Lindsey, have you started yet?  Let me know how it's going for you.  It would be cool if all of us ostomates keep on touch during our While 30 journey!  

@Lisa J and @julie***, hi!!! I can't tell you how awesome it is to have some fellow ostomates to chat with and lean on for support! I started on January 1, and so far so good! I've pretty much stuck with my plan that I outlined above, and I haven't had any issues with my bag so far. @julie***, what you said about your mixed output when you eat fruits and veggies by themselves was on point-- exact same for me. After digging into some Whole30 recipes, I have that I have a lot more options than I'd realized. As long as the veggies are cooked, and/or eaten with protein, they digest so much easier than if I'd eaten them alone (and I must make sure they are cooked after noon-- otherwise I'm asking for trouble). What I've been pleasantly surprised with is that I can put away nearly 3 cups of spinach leaves or mixed salad greens (RAW!!) for lunch, as long as I have meat with it-- I'll usually have it with protein salad of some kind. Or yesterday for lunch I had a bowl of leftover chili, and a mixed greens salad, and I was totally fine! Spinach seems to be kind to my little baggie and I'm going with it!! I'll take it because I love it!

I do have a question-- how do you guys handle seafood?? Since I've had surgery, I've had some on and off trouble with it. Salmon I can't handle-- I get sick every time I eat it, and other seafood is kind of touch and go. Anyone else have similar issues, or is this just me?

Morning @lindseyranae and @Lisaj! Thanks for the ideas and feedback. I've not had any issues (that I can recall) with seafood or any other food. For me it's more about the texture of food, so things like nuts, seeds and obviously raw fruits and raw veggies, I watch for. But lettuces i find are easier to break down than say other raw veggies such as carrot sticks or broccoli florets. Ah!!! Chili! I gotta make one without the beans! Might add some sweet potato cubes to it. 

Hey guys!  What if we exchange email addresses or friend each other on Facebook if you both have it.  I think it would be easier than this forum.  Just my opinion. :)  I will be back a little later to respond to your recent posts.  

-Lisa 

So update since my first whole30 in September.  My bloodwork in October showed a significant reduction in inflammation. I am also off prednisone for the first successful time in years - I was on a maintenance dose.

Now on day 11 of my 2nd whole30. I kept off 10 of the 15 lbs I initially lost in the first round. 

This round has been harder but I had my first salad since pre-ostomy with no issues. Am sleeping better (again). 

Hang in there!

• 1 month later...

Hi

yes, I completed a round and am starting another on Monday.  I noticed my output was a little thicker, but I just made sure to drink a lot of water.  I love the appliances I use and haven't had too much of an issue with leakage.  If you would like to talk more, feel free to email me at [email protected]. :)

Archived