We got 'er done!

Marjanill

Today my husband and I completed our first whole30.

Why did I start this?  Frankly, weight loss. I need to get some weight off before June. I also turned 60, and realized I had to quit eating like the average teenager. In the past year or two, my brother and sister in law have lost quite a bit of weight by eating gluten free. I don’t know if they were doing Paleo or what—I never asked beyond the gluten. I went looking for a paleo book on Amazon, and “It starts With Food” came up. I read about it, and it sounded like a HEALTHY version of paleo, so I bought the book and decided to jump in.

I did well on the don'ts. There was one long-planned diversion celebration half-way through, but neither of us diverted much and we just jumped back on the plan immediately after.

I could have done better on the dos. This next time (starting April 1) the main thing I could do better is concentrate on my veggies. I need to make that the focus of my meals, and just have a bunch of meat  available to add.  I don’t think I ate enough green type veggies. I got LOTS of sweet potatoes and butter-nut squash.

My Non-scale victories:

I managed to not drink that cocktail of chemicals referred to as Coke for an entire 30 days. Major accomplishment. I don’t want to re-introduce THAT!

My face lost that  “Miss Piggy” look it was starting to get.

I don’t feel the twinges in my knees and the soreness in my heels-- that I have been experiencing for the last 1.5 years-- is MUCH diminished. That’s not due to exercise since I don’t.

There is a weird NSV that I noticed when I read someone else's success story where they talk about how they quit hair pulling.  When I read that, I realized that I too had a victory of that sort. I tend to play with, or pull hair out of a cowlicky area at my hairline when I am reading or on the internet.  I noticed I was no longer doing that. Now, I have NO idea what causes that, or what fixed it, but there it is.

The crown of my head tends to itch a lot normally. That has subsided greatly. 

I’ve had fewer issues with seasonal allergies which last year were horrible at this time, and the pollen counts have been HIGH. 

My eyes are clearer and have lost that glassy look they were getting.

I also was experiencing a lot of breast pain before. I always attributed It either to caffeine in Coke, or fat in my diet. Since I replaced the Coke with coffee, which might have ADDED caffeine to my diet; and I’ve added a lot of fat to my diet, the breast pain has gone away. Wacky. Sugar? Some other chemical in the Coke? Who knows.  

I just wasn’t hungry and the cravings weren’t that bad. I never did dream about food, that I know of.

I learned to eat some new foods, like plantain. I kind of liked it. I even ate Liver yesterday for the first time since being a child. It isn’t my new favorite food but I will eat it again.  These last 10 days or so; I added fermented foods like real kimchi and sauerkraut and saueruben and Kvass and kombucha.  My husband liked these more than I did, but they are not bad. I liked the saueruben the best. These fermented foods seem to be helping my husband with his acid reflux issues. I can only hope if we continue down this road, perhaps he can reduce or eliminate the acid blockers he has taken for most of his adult life.

Even with candy all around the house from pre-whole30, I was able to not eat it.

My stomach seemed to be much happier on this diet (after the first week) than it has been in a long time.  Much less bloating, IBS type issues.

My gums—which have been in pretty bad shape for a long time—are markedly improved. I can tell that by looking. Again, they are probably deliriously happy to have the Coke gone, as are my teeth.

My mood improved after I got over the initial frustration of feeling like I was in the kitchen or the grocery store (which is a 36 mile round trip) all the time.  I think I lost some brain-fog also.

Yes, I weighed today since no weight loss would have been a pointless endeavor for me, and I would need to look somewhere else for that. I lost 9 lbs, and an inch off my body pretty much everywhere. I am a 5’2, 60 year old,  recently post-menopausal female who has dieted a LOT since the age of 41 (never before that because I was underweight until then), so that is something I am quite happy with.

My husband lost 10 lbs, and it looks like he lost quite a bit around his waist, since his pants are nearly falling off. He commented about how he has been colder the last couple of days even though it hasn't been colder outside. I said, "You don't suppose losing 10 lbs. of insulation might be the reason you are colder?" No, it hadn't dawned on him. Good thing warmer weather is incoming.  I know the first thing he wants to reintroduce is oatmeal. I think he could eat oatmeal--fixed the very same way--every day of his life. In fact, I think he pretty much HAS eaten that for nearly 70 years. Could be worse.

I plan to add exercise this next whole 30 starting April 1st—it’s always a mystery how that will affect my weight, but it needs to be done.  I also plan to alternate coffee mornings with green tea mornings.

• Moderators

Wonderful reflections and write up! Thrilled for you and your husband. And your NSVs far surpass your weight loss, which is also significant. You're doing terrific things for yourself.

As for the breast pain, that's more than likely hormonal, and the reduction/elimination of that pain likely points to your hormones balancing. Great news!

Keep up the great work. I love your green tea plan and the addition of exercise. Can't wait to read your observations about this next stretch of the journey.

Hi and congrats! This gives me big hope, due to I am 61 years and I only need to lose about 8 pounds now but I have had terrible tummy issues for months now.

My hubby and I just started this and it is our 2nd day of round one and we are happy we decided to do this. So wish us luck and in 28 days I will be pouring our story out as well!

Great for you both!

:D

Archived