Post Work out meal...bigger than it should be, but then not hungry later...

Kcrokus

Does anyone else have experience with wanted a huge meal post workout, then not being hungry again for hours later? Just the starchy veggies and meal sized protein are not enough for me after a HIIT workout at Orangetheory Fitness, so I eat more,...but there is no way I can eat again in 60-90 minutes. Especially since my workouts are early morning and I tend to have coffee with coconut milk after, so that added fat also adds to my satiety. Rest assured my meal is big...two+ whole eggs, ground beef, spinach, peppers, lots of sweet potatoes, salsa, avocado and greens with a lemon/olive oil dressing. Thanks all!

• Moderators

I would just count this as meal one. A post workout mini-meal is simply a little bit of lean protein and maybe a bit of starchy veg meant to fuel muscles at an optimal time. If you're eating a full-on meal after working out, you don't need to eat again until your next meal.

• Moderators

You are not eating a post-workout meal. The only way to get protein to your muscles within the short window of availability there is after a workout, you must eat lean protein and no fat. When you eat whole eggs, ground beef, avocado, and olive oil, all that fat slows digestion and your muscles don't get fed in a timely fashion. They eventually get fed, but not during the window when they are especially open. And this really makes a difference to recovery. So follow the guidance we give you in the meal planning template... eat a meal size-portion of lean protein and (optionally) some starchy veggies. Do not eat fat at this meal. You can eat a regular fat-filled meal not long after your no-fat post-workout meal because the lean protein has a head start on the fat you add afterwards. Eat your post-workout food at the gym. Drive home and eat breakfast. No problem. 

How much to eat

Archived