Newbie BFing Mom needs help w/ eating enough

Hi everyone!

I am brand new to the whole30 as a nursing mother and was wondering how much i should be eating to keep my supply up or better yet increase it. I am on day 2 officially and feel hungry all the time. I have done Whole30 twice before and don't remember ever feeling ravenous. I eat whenever I am hungry but I'm worried of my supply dropping. I plan on nursing for about 3 more months so I definitely don't want to do anything to affect it.

I appreciate any insight! Thank you!

• Moderators

You definitely shouldn't be hungry all the time. For BFing moms, the recommendation is to have four meals a day (here's the meal template), plus extra fat (drink coconut milk throughout the day, or eat olives or avocado). Be sure you also drink plenty of water -- at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so someone who weighs 120 lbs needs at least 60 oz of water, and for nursing moms, even aim for more than that.

Could you tell us what you have been eating the last couple of days, with portion sizes, water intake, and exercise? Maybe we can give you some more specific pointers.

I'm curious about responses to this too. I'm on Day 4 and pumped less today than usual. I also didn't nurse as much as usual yesterday and I'm under a lot of stress (buying a home), so it could be any number of things, but I want to make sure Whole30 isn't one of them!

I will say that lactation tea has really helped increase my supply - I actually have to stop drinking it at times because I get an oversupply if I have more than 2 mugs per day. That might help, it actually works for me

Is this something that can be bought in a healthshop? I'm also interested in this topic as a breasfeeding mum and whole 30 newbie. Thanks

Is this something that can be bought in a healthshop? I'm also interested in this topic as a breasfeeding mum and whole 30 newbie. Thanks

Yes, most health food stores carry it, along with some grocery store (even my Target stores carry it!) Traditional Medicinals and Yogi Teas are two common brands. It is fantastic with some coconut milk stirred in!

I'm a Whole 30 newbie too and hoping my supply doesn't suffer - good luck!

Hi! Im bfeeding my 4 month old and currently on my 26th day of my whole30. I drink the mothers milk tea twice a day and eat 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks. So far I haven't had any issues with my milk supply. By the way the tea is much cheaper on amazon ;)

As a reference point, nursing mothers need to have at least 500 extra calories a day. And, not everyone is the same. Some mothers may need more than this to provide for the calories they're losing each nursing session. I love the nursing tea for many reasons. Not only does it help with milk supply, it also has internal benefits as well. It works better for me than ibuprofen when I'm on my period. The taste took me some time to get used to since I'm not fond of fennel.I compensated for this by brewing it with a bag or two of peppermint tea. It works very well to mask the fennel flavor.

Archived