Sugar headaches

jburth7

My reintros were done a couple years ago and to be honest, at the time, I didn't notice anything with sugar except that it woke my sugar dragon. So, I mostly avoid it unless something is worth it. However, the last couple times I've had something worth it, I've noticed I get a bad headache after consuming sugar.

I started randomly wondering why this is which led me to a Google search that indicated it could be a pre-diabetic symptom. Anyone heard of this? Is it true? I really didn't think I was pre-diabetic- for reference I'm 35, normal weight, I workout regularly and I've been eating whole30 style for almost three years now.

Or is this just the medical world not really understanding that the vast majority of people should not consume the amount of sugar we regularly consume and after almost completely eliminating it we actually notice problems with even a small amount?

• Moderators

My suggestion would be to take a quick trip to your doctor to get a blood test done. Unfortunately no one here is a doctor and we couldn't say for sure if that was a concern even if we were... I've also heard that you can get roaring headaches from eating sugar if you have high blood pressure so I think the only way to really put your mind at ease would be to have a test done.

Yes, the medical world for the most part uses 'averages' and people who eat on a Whole30 style diet are certainly not in that average group, but I don't think getting a headache from eating a minimal amount of sugar once in a while is all that normal.

When you ate the 'worth it' thing, what other ingredients were in it? Was it a cupcake with creamcheese icing? That case would have flour, dairy, sugar etc... It may be worth it to log what it is you're eating and see if there's another common denominator other than sugar. It may also be worth doing another Whole30 now, years later and doing a proper re-intro again... our bodies change and you could be sensitive to additional things now than you were before.

Good point- I didn't think about the combo for some reason and I do know that I have issues with dairy so I avoid that, but most baked goods (that I deem worth it!) have some type of dairy in them so that might be it.  I've never heard/read of the high blood pressure link and I know I don't have high blood pressure.  Probably good to check in with the doctor.  Thanks!!

Even if you are Prediabetic (which you may not be), things like this can be triggered by things other than food. Some medications are called diabetogenic because they can induce diabeties, even when everything else is perfect.

Prediabeties is also completely reversible, so even if you are, you can fix it :)

Your doctor will be able to get you the details you need, but don't be worried, whatever the outcome.

Archived