Hi Guys!

Made this most amazing breakfast with the Basic whole30 homemade mayonnaise recipe.

Just 2 boiled eggs,some mustard,coriander leaves wrapped in crunchy iceberg lettuce.All of this is packed and held together using a skewer or a toothpick.

Would really appreciate some new ideas on filling for more lettuce wraps.

Foodcow

Follow my whole30 indian journey on www.foodcow.org

post-91100-0-59636800-1459150895_thumb.j

Hi foodcow & welcome to Whole30

Add another two of the same & that will be a much better breakfast, and maybe some tomatoes or something on the side.... (when eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females)

As for other ideas for fillings? Basically anything you'd put in a flour tortilla wrap you can put in lettuce - chicken or tuna salad, shredded beef or pork, pate - all kinds of things  :)

Really?Are you saying that two eggs are less for breakfast?I thought 3 whole eggs plus one egg white is the maximum you should have in a day.I am not extremely physically active so dont burn a whole lot of calories.

Foodcow

Follow my whole30 indian journey on www.foodcow.org

I'm not sure where you read this but it certainly doesn't apply here.

A serving of eggs when it is your only source of protein in a meal is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without breaking. And don;t ditch the yolk - that's where all the nutrients are!

If you choose to have eggs at all three meals then that's fine - and you wouldn't be the first to do so.

If cholesterol is your concern then you should know that the myth that dietary cholesterol effects blood cholesterol was de-bunked a longtime ago.

Yep, double up on the wraps for a much better start to your day  :)

• 1 month later...

I love doing egg scrambles, I'll add whatever veggies on hand (my fave combo is spinach, mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers!!! ) I used to stuff it into a pita pocket, it tastes even better as a lettuce wrap with sliced avocado and Frank's hot sauce (I am obsessed with that stuff!)

• 1 month later...

I like compliant smoked salmon, avocado, and green onion in lettuce wraps (usually with bell pepper strips and cucumbers on the side for added vegetables). The salmon wraps remind me of a Philly roll from sushi places without the rice or soy sauce and I'm lucky enough to have a grocery store with store brand smoked salmon that is less expensive than the other brands and is compliant. 

I'd like to get some ideas of a sauce I could use when doing a chicken vegi wrap. The kind you'd get at a restaurant, but I know there sauce would have sugar and probably other off limit things. Thanks for any help.

I'd like to get some ideas of a sauce I could use when doing a chicken vegi wrap. The kind you'd get at a restaurant, but I know there sauce would have sugar and probably other off limit things. Thanks for any help.

What kind of restaurant? There are all sorts of compliant sauces you can make, homemade mayo/aioli with different flavors, homemade pesto (store bought usually has cheese in it), homemade sesame ginger dressing, balsamic vinaigrette. 

If you are using the sauce in a lettuce wrap I would recommend a mayo or pesto because they won't be as messy (but I rarely take my own advice and often dip a lettuce wrap into a cup of homemade vinaigrette). 

• 1 month later...

Coconut Aminos are sooo yummy! I buy the brand Coconut Secret! You can mix it with so many things! ground turkey, chicken, etc. Primal Kitchen has 2 amazing yummy mayos too!

• 2 weeks later...

I like compliant smoked salmon, avocado, and green onion in lettuce wraps (usually with bell pepper strips and cucumbers on the side for added vegetables). The salmon wraps remind me of a Philly roll from sushi places without the rice or soy sauce and I'm lucky enough to have a grocery store with store brand smoked salmon that is less expensive than the other brands and is compliant. 

Where have you gotten compliant smoked salmon?  That sounds delicious!

I haven't started my Whole 30 yet (my start date is Aug. 2... can't wait!!), but I've been gluten free for the past eight months and am obsessed with lettuce wraps. As others have said, chicken/tuna/egg salads are great in lettuce, as are turkey/beef burgers. Lately, I've been really into fish taco lettuce wraps (blackened fish fillet, homemade sriracha aioli, pico de gallo), and Thai chicken lettuce wraps (stir fried chicken and veggies with a curry sauce or coconut aminos/garlic/ginger sauce). 

Just a quick note (and I'm sure you've probably heard this before) - iceberg isn't a great source of nutrients. I totally get why it's great for lettuce wraps - size, shape, crunch - but there are more nutritious options. I often opt for romaine lettuce and eat it like a lettuce boat instead of a wrap. Still crunchy and refreshing, but a little bit more nutritious. A quick blanch on some collard greens is an even better choice. I always try to remember that the darker the green, the more nutrients it has! 

Archived