Performance Drop Day 2

katerpa

I am on day 2 of my second whole 30. My first was 3 months ago and I have stayed at least 80% compliant in between.

I have trained very hard the past 8 weeks for a 5k race that I have this Sunday, day 7 of my whole 30. Today, I was planning a short tempo run and felt HORRIBLE. My mile paced dropped from my standard 6:50 to 7:20 and I was giving it my all. I couldn't even finish my work out. I thought I was going to pass out.

I would hate to waste the past 8 weeks of training, I worked really hard to be at my peak perfomace for this Sunday.

Is the whole 30 going to derail me?!?

My last whole 30 I wasn't training for a race, just standard running and strength training and I didn't notice any difference in performance.

I felt amazingly fast week and ready to race. Hoping this will pass in a day or two but don't know.

HELP!!!

Why do you want to make diet changes before a major race? Can you wait until the race is over? To train 8 weeks then blow it seems counterproductive.

Alternatively, you just had a sub par run. It happens.

My advice is to eat like you normally did while training until the race is complete.

Hope you have a great 5k!

I agree with LucieB. When I was running I never made a major change to my diet within 2 weeks before a race. 80% compliant to 100% compliant is a pretty major change. Most people experience a significant drop in performance the first 2 weeks of a whole30 especially if they have not properly replaced the grain carbs in their diet with vegetable carbs.

Aw man:( This is the only 30 days I could find that were event free (wedding/vacation.) If I still want to try to stay on the whole30, how do I increase veg carbs? Should I add them at every meal or in between?

Thanks for any advice!

Aw man:( This is the only 30 days I could find that were event free (wedding/vacation.) If I still want to try to stay on the whole30, how do I increase veg carbs? Should I add them at every meal or in between?

Thanks for any advice!

Most people find that upping starchy veg intake the day before a run works well.

What have you being do up until now?

Well, this is only day 2, but I have a plaintain Post work out with an egg. Sweet potatoe at M1, raw carrots, zuchinni and salad at M2 and at M3 more sweet potatoes. Since the race is only 5 days away I am thinking of just adding lots of sweet potatoes, plaintains, squash for 5 days. Then maybe some extra bananas the day before and morning of?

Personally I'd stick with the starchy veg rather than the fruit... and maybe stick with egg white or some other lean protein post WO - the fat will slow down digestion of anything else you're eating so your muscles won't get the good of it & recovery may be slower so best to skip it, and then eat your next meal as normal.

It's only 5 days - you can cut back on the starchy veg post race and work more on getting fat adapted at that point.

Archived