Katanaya in San Francisco

schimki

Hi all! I just started Whole30 this week because it seemed like a good time to do it - no upcoming travel or weddings or anything like that. However, I have a friend visiting next week who I already promised I would take to Katanaya in San Francisco. It's mainly a ramen place, but they also do sushi. It's a very busy place, so I don't want to make too many special requests. What would you suggest I order? Menu here: http://www.katanayausa.com/#!menu/c24tf 

• Moderators

I would say the only thing that is reasonably safe there would be to have sashimi and squeeze lemon/lime on it.  Wasabi won't be compliant unless it's just freshly grated wasabi root (which is rare).  Any of the nigiri would work as long as you ask them to not serve it on the rice.

Once you get into the cooked food, you're going to have to ask the questions about marinades, rubs, sauces, cooking oils etc... 

Here is what I am seeing for OK vs non-compliant...

Non compliant:

-All ramen

-All appetizers

-Most salads

-All donburi, combinations, sides (rice & miso)

-Udon & soba noodles

-any sushi, due to rice

Possibly Compliant

-House salad, ask about dressing

-Mixed fish salad, ask if fish is marinated and about dressing

Compliant

-Sashimi dinners (as long as they dont have egg or bbq eel)

I didn't add nigiri, since technically this is with the fish, etc on top of the molded rice. You couldn't have the rice, but it is pretty common for most places to offer a sashimi version of anything nigiri (this also eliminates the non-compliant wasabi hiding between fish and rice).

Looking at the nigiri list, I would stay away from the BBQ eel due to the sauce and the tamago egg, since the egg is whisked with a soy sauce mixture and some sugar almost 100% of the time.

I would ask the chef/server about the "butter fish", since I think this is referring to the texture (as in, smooth like butter) since it a pretty expensive cut of fish.

Make sure if you want something to dip it in, that you bring your own coconut aminos since the soy sauce is off-limits.

Archived