Ideas to spruce up plain water

PeytonsMom

• Moderators

Instead of powdered stuff in your water, try infusing real fruit into your water. Any fruits you like work -- just slice them up, put them in a container of water, and let it sit for a few hours/overnight. In the summer, I like cucumber. I've also done sliced apple with a bit of a cinnamon stick. Strawberries. Citrus. Melons. Whatever. They sell special pitchers for infusing, but you don't need them -- use whatever pitcher or mason jar or other container you want to. If I'm thinking ahead, I'll just fill up my usual 32 oz cup with water and fruit and stick it in the fridge at bedtime, and then in the morning I've got infused water ready to go.

Check out these other ideas too: Quench your Thirst Whole30 style, Quench Your Thirst Whole30 Style featuring La Croix, Whole30 Mocktails.

Do remember that you should be mostly drinking plain water -- these ideas are nice occasionally, but water should still be your main focus.

• Moderators

Infused water is amazing. Or if you want sparkling stuff, I love lacroix, or adding lime or muddled mint to seltzer. It is super refreshing

I swear I read this as 'adding lime or mustard' and I was a little grossed out! LOL

At night I put cucumber, lemon, and basil or mint in a pitcher filled with water and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Oh. MY! Delicious! I drink a gallon of it throughout the day. I've done other concoctions too. I also love lime and jalapeno. Orange or tangerine is wonderful too. 

My new favorite is to squeeze 1/2 a lemon in 20oz of water and add a pinch or two of salt. The salt cuts the sour lemon just enough, and it's super refreshing! (helps when you have a lemon tree in your yard that's absolutely overflowing ;) )

In addition to all great ideas above-- a splash of apple cider vinegar is a fave of mine. The raw Braggs is a bonus but even the normal stuff tastes good.

And as strange as it sounds, a sage leaf does a wonderful flavor in water.

This idea doesn't necessarily change the water itself, but... My husband and I are wine drinkers, and having a plain old glass of water with a meal when I would normally have wine was one of those tiny things that had more of an impact on me than it should have. So, I got out the FANCY wine glasses for water, and floated a thin slice of lemon in it. Just made the water a little more special.

• 1 month later...

I use essential oils.  I love to put lemon, orange or a citrus oil in my water.  I used to make vodka/soda's and add a little essential oil (but not for the next 27 days:).  You could use any essential oil, as long as its a high grade oil that you can ingest.  I use young living oils.

I had a lemon needed using up so cut it in half, then sliced thinly, and split between two, 1 litre water bottles.  They're both in the fridge, I rotate them, once empty, and I haven't refreshed the lemon, and it's been maybe three weeks - no sign of it going off, but not as lemony now as when I first did it.  The wife complained that it tasted like washing up liquid, but I like it.

I probably should get around to a different flavour soon.

I use essential oils.  I love to put lemon, orange or a citrus oil in my water.  I used to make vodka/soda's and add a little essential oil (but not for the next 27 days:).  You could use any essential oil, as long as its a high grade oil that you can ingest.  I use young living oils.

Essential oils are great idea and I'd like to add if you do use them, do not use a plastic cup unless you want it to have that scent/taste for what feels like, ever. Make sure you use glassware. 

Crastney, on 17 May 2016 - 1:24 PM, said:

I had a lemon needed using up so cut it in half, then sliced thinly, and split between two, 1 litre water bottles.  They're both in the fridge, I rotate them, once empty, and I haven't refreshed the lemon, and it's been maybe three weeks - no sign of it going off, but not as lemony now as when I first did it.  The wife complained that it tasted like washing up liquid, but I like it.

I probably should get around to a different flavour soon.

I find that my lemons and limes get a little gross-feeling after three days without having any off flavor or odor. Have your touched your slices? Do you strictly keep yours in the fridge unless you're taking a glass/sip? I leave my citrus in my Nalgene bottles and don't refrigerate them which may be the difference... but if I leave them for longer than three or four days, the water gets cloudy fairly soon after refreshing it, which could be a sign of bacterial bloom, and which I prefer to avoid.

kept in the fridge mostly - I noticed the lemon was going 'grey' so took one bottle out the fridge and emptied, and I will replace with lime segments.

the other is probably also needs replacing - it definitely tastes less of lemon than it did to start with.

Archived