Mayo Fail - Bitter Taste

kcallahan05

I am starting my first Whole30 tomorrow and have tried to make the mayo recipe from the book, however I failed the first time as I added the oil too quickly.  Now I have made it again but it tastes bitter.  It looks great and the consistency is really thick but it just does not taste good.  Is it possible that I over blended the mayo?  I used Bertolli's extra light olive oil. 

Has anyone found that it tastes better with a different type of oil like avacado oil?  Or, does anyone have any recipes that they have found taste better?

Whenever I have used Bertolli it tasted awful.  I use Filippo Berio (on bottle it says for sauteeing and grilling so it is the light variety) and it tastes fine.  I use a pint size Mason jar - put in one whole egg (straight from fridge), add 1 cup oil, put in a good squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle of salt.  I use an immersion blender - pulse it about 30 or so times (might have to move it up and down a little bit) and it turns out fine.  For salad dressing I add some garlic and Italian seasoning.  It took me a few fails to get it right - especially to find a good oil.  Good Luck

One time I made it starting off with extra virgin olive oil and it started to get bitter. I switched oils and added the light flavor olive oil and threw in some garlic and it masked the bitter.

I've had success (non bitter mayos) with avocado, grapeseed and light-tasting olive oil. Avocado and light olive oil were our faves. :)

The avocado didn't specify if it was cold pressed or not.

I've hated every mayo I ever made with olive oil. Any kind of olive oil, light, extra light, etc...ick

But avocado oil was delish as was walnut oil. Walnut oil wouldn't be ideal, but I tend to only use a smidge of mayo to make salad dressings creamy or with mashed avocado in protein salad so I'm not using a lot of it at a time. 

Archived