Whole 7?

Hi all,

Last month my SO and I completed our Whole 30! We were really happy with the results. Unfortunately, due to our hectic college student lives, we haven't had the time or money to maintain all those good paleo habits. I've noticed recently that the reintroduction of sugars and other junky stuff has been making me feel pretty gross. However, we're not ready to commit to another full 30 days!

Does anyone have positive experiences with doing something like a Whole 7? Obviously you wouldn't get the full benefits of the 30 days, but we're mostly looking for a way to clear out the junk in our tummies & make room for more opportunities for better foods. I was thinking that we could definitely plan out a full week - grab groceries, make a bunch of meals over the weekend, and do 7 paleo days. Maybe even more...? Just not all 30, not at the moment!

The other option might be to designate certain days of the week where we eat paleo - but I would worry that going back and forth between paleo and non-paleo might be more harmful than beneficial somehow...?

Let me know your thoughts/any experiences you've had that relate to this!

- Lauren

I'm not a moderator or any sort of expert in the field, but I would think a Whole7 (or 5 or 10 or 14) would absolutely be beneficial. Better than a Whole0! 

I have tried to do mini-W30s such as that, and oddly enough, had more trouble committing to them than actual 30-day Whole30s. Mentally knowing "I AM ON A WHOLE30!!!" is such a huge deal to me, I guess. But we're all unique, so it's worth a shot. (And I would like to try it again.)

I too am curious about the health ramifications of going back and forth between SAD and paleo. (Because I have a terrible tendency to go totally off the rails every weekend. Working on it!)

It sounds like what would be most beneficial for you is to stick to the Whole30 as much as you can and when things calm down a bit (summer break?) do another Whole30 with proper reintros so you can see what is and isn't worth it and formulate a good balanced forever plan by the time school starts up again.

Definitely doing some days is better than none. I personally feel best when I stick to it most of the time and only go off plan for things that are truly special. This is hard to do but we have a lifetime to practice.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone is still reading this, but I am on day 3 of a Whole7.  I completed the Whole30 last June.  I've been trying to get myself started since about January because I know how wonderful I feel when compliant.  I really started to slide this Spring with vacations, social events, etc.  I started to beat myself up, as I have a very significant birthday approaching and we're having a huge "destination" party. I promised myself I would look as great as I did at last year's birthday.  My travel schedule is nuts this year, but I decided, hey dummy, you're actually home for 7 days - just do it.  So I'm on day 3 and back to black coffee. My success last summer was in doing the same things every day, to some that's boring, but I guess to me it's comforting.  Dinners are different, but breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same, which allows for always having what I need on hand!  So whether you do a Whole30, Whole14 or Whole7, you're doing something.  I honestly feel so much better already - probably a combination of diet and attitude!  Good luck. 

Some things can be done all the time whether on Whole30 or not and don't add anything to one's budget --- you can go gluten free, grain free, and soy free without having to buy organic stuff or specialty items.

Archived