TRICKED on day 27

I'm so upset and frustrated and in severe pain.

I have been doing whole 30 for my joint / muscle pain (RA) and my atypical migraines. I have been tiger blood since day 4 and my pain has been 100% completely gone. I even ran for the first time in 6 years without crippling pain.

I had to go out of town (long road trip) and long story short I had to travel with my dad on the way back.

I prepped all my food in a cooler and was good all weekend and ate really sad lettuce in the restaurants that we had to go to because everything was non compliant.

But on the way home, I couldn't get to my cooler. We were stopping at a drive through for my dad and the sign said 100% beef patty. I thought I could just have the patty and it would be ok. "Our beef is cooked in its own grease nothing else"

But it was apparently not ok and now I am back in pain and haven't even been able to get out of bed today. I was excited at first because this probably means it was contaminated with soy (like maybe they actually cook with soy bean oil) and I probably have a soy allergy. Which would line up with my sudden asthma-like issues that started a couple of years ago. It means I am closer to figuring out what's wrong with me.

But now I'm furious. I have worked so hard to get this far in the diet (a few days to being done) and it's all gone. I'm pretty sure it means that today is reset to day 1 even though I was unaware of what was in my food. Even though I had already told my boyfriend (who has been dieting with me) that I could see myself doing this for potentially the rest of my life because I've been pain free....I'm furious that it means probably I will be restarting. I'm so upset I don't even want to restart or keep cooking or even eat lunch. I feel pretty defeated. Especially because i keep replaying the situation in my head and keep telling myself I could have done things differently.

I completely understand that you're angry and feeling horrible about what happened. But you already know from the 27 days before the unfortunate burger incident that Whole30 really works well for your RA. 

So it wasn't a defeat, just a setback. You already know how great you can feel once you get back on track. 

One thing you can do is call the restaurant. Tell them how sick the burger made you and ask for all of the ingredients in the patty and whether or not they use soy oils or corn oils for cooking. If you tell them how sick it made you, it might scare them into actually giving you the information you're looking for. 

You were thinking about continuing your Whole30 anyway. So just keep going. You can do it  :)

(deep breath) Thank you. You're right. :)

I now have contacted the place & now I'm waiting for a reply.

On their website it says the whole burger has gluten and soy allergens in it but they don't say specifically what's in the patty other than 100% beef. :/

I agree !!  27 days of pain free ?? !!!   why not - continue for that reason only !  I have been doing this since 9/2014  for plantar fasciitis pain... and have been pain for the majority of the time.  Unless - I partake of the things that I shouldn't ... then there is a bit of a set back and then I get it all straightened out and back to pain free.  Good luck on your journey !

In Australia that would be illegal advertising. It's not 100% beef if it's not 100% beef!

You may be able to report them to the Better Business Bureau too.

This is why we recommend asking about ingredients, as signs and menus are often misleading, sometimes downright not true :(

Once you know what's in it, if it's just one thing, you can probably count it as a Reintroduction (as you know it made you feel terrible).

Your 27 days are not wasted if you learn something :)

Vent as much as you want, you're not the only one who has had a restart due to something like this.

I agree with the others. I found out that many places actually cook their meat in butter. So the actual meat is 100% beef, but cooked in butter. I end up telling restaurants that I have a milk allergy so they won't use it on me. Girl's gotta do what she's gotta do. 

Archived