Coconut Milk - Do I only use the cream part for the Sunshine Sauce?

CookingWhole101

This is day 4 for me.  

Do I only use the creamy white coconut part (and save the liquid)  for the Sunshine Recipe on page 320 of Whole 30 book? Or do I mix the creamy white part of the coconut along with the liquid?  

I have been separating the two and storing the liquid part of the coconut in my fridge to use as a drink. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good question- I would like to know the same. I want to make Ranch Dressing but was getting confused with "coconut cream" and "coconut milk". A co-worker of mine said it is the same thing! I thought these were two different things.

I've never made sunshine sauce, however you can do either of the following:

1. Use the cream & ditch the liquid (it's not worth drinking) - ie. coconut cream

2. Blend together & use all of it - ie. coconut milk

• Moderators

For Sunshine Sauce, I'm pretty sure I've always used coconut milk -- the water and the thick stuff (coconut cream) blended together.

If you use just the thick cream, you'll end up with a thicker, more coconut tasting sauce.

Yep, use it all otherwise your sunshine sauce will be pretty thick. I give the can a good shake to distribute the liquid and solid parts and then open it. Another tip, I triple the recipe so I can use almost all of the can since I never know how long that stuff is good in the fridge... Sunshine sauce on the other hand doesn't last very long bc I eat it :)

Archived