Meltdown success stories?

HealthyForPNG

Hi all! I am doing my 2nd Whole30 right now. I'm not ready to put my kids on a Whole30 - we are getting ready to leave the country for the birth of our 6th baby, and things are going to be getting increasingly hectic over the next few weeks.

My five-year old son has been growing increasingly prone to hysterical meltdowns. Almost anything can push him over the edge, and he will cry, wail, scream, and sob for an extended period of time. Example: His sister was trying to clean up shoes in front of our front door, he wanted to go out, she told him to use the back door. Melt. down. city. His brother pushed him. Melt. down. city. He doesn't want what's for dinner. Melt. down. city. I guess you can get the idea ;)

I've started wondering if it could be a food sensitivity that's causing him to be SO high strung. I already know he is intolerant of dairy, and he doesn't consume that, at least not very often (our house isn't dairy free, because my husband LOVES dairy, and sometimes my son sneaks cheese here and there).

Has anyone done Whole30 with their kids and seen an improvement in behaviour issues?

Honestly, I know the fight it will be to do a Whole30 with my children. I'm trying to wrap my brain around whether the end results will be worth the major drama that we will have at first.

Before I knew anything about w30.... When my now 15 yr old was a toddler, it was meltdown time if she was overtired, I made the 3rd stop when we were out running errands or she needed protein or water. I'm glad I figured it out because....she is still the same way.

In all honesty, he could be feeding off the impending changes. Some kids are even more moody when things change, they're hungry, or they're tired. Sometimes it's related to blood sugar (hangry, not diabetes). I know my daughter is melt down city if she's tired/hungry/sugar crashing.... Lately it's because life is starting to change and the last couple of weeks have been super hectic/not normal.

I'm sure eating closer to a W30 isn't gonna hurt anything, heck! it may even help, but it may not be a cure all either.

Hi all! I am doing my 2nd Whole30 right now. I'm not ready to put my kids on a Whole30 - we are getting ready to leave the country for the birth of our 6th baby, and things are going to be getting increasingly hectic over the next few weeks.

My five-year old son has been growing increasingly prone to hysterical meltdowns. Almost anything can push him over the edge, and he will cry, wail, scream, and sob for an extended period of time. Example: His sister was trying to clean up shoes in front of our front door, he wanted to go out, she told him to use the back door. Melt. down. city. His brother pushed him. Melt. down. city. He doesn't want what's for dinner. Melt. down. city. I guess you can get the idea ;)

I've started wondering if it could be a food sensitivity that's causing him to be SO high strung. I already know he is intolerant of dairy, and he doesn't consume that, at least not very often (our house isn't dairy free, because my husband LOVES dairy, and sometimes my son sneaks cheese here and there).

Has anyone done Whole30 with their kids and seen an improvement in behaviour issues?

Honestly, I know the fight it will be to do a Whole30 with my children. I'm trying to wrap my brain around whether the end results will be worth the major drama that we will have at first.

Around 50% of boys who are intolerant to dairy are also intolerant to soy - that might be a good place to start.

From there I'd then look at removing gluten...

Hi! This may or not be helpful for you but my younger brother (who has Asperger's) when he was little had immediate definite reactions to certain foods. My mom swore that he would get hyperactive and aggressive and melt-downy with apples and food coloring.

He's an adult now who's pretty mellow (he still avoids food coloring for the most part) but maybe that's something to look out for? Hope you find your answer soon!

Not sure how common it is where you are, but common in most bread/bakery products here (it's added to the flour so very few products don't have it) is Preservative 282 (it's a mold retardant).

Some parents have found it has a strong link with big tantrums and meltdowns in their kids and teens, a few bakeries have started sourcing flour without it added so the experiment is to swap out products with it in, for those without and see if there's a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how common it is where you are, but common in most bread/bakery products here (it's added to the flour so very few products don't have it) is Preservative 282 (it's a mold retardant).

Some parents have found it has a strong link with big tantrums and meltdowns in their kids and teens, a few bakeries have started sourcing flour without it added so the experiment is to swap out products with it in, for those without and see if there's a difference.

Anyone know what that preservative is called in the US? My son consumes his fair share of baked goods, and I've noticed more moodiness than usual (though it could be his age, 9, and wanting more independence!).

A few months ago I moved in with my girlfriend and her 4 year old son.  Although there were a few reasons for the constant meltdowns, she ended up doing some research and set an 8pm bedtime.  That definitely helped.  Although he still gets tired around 630-7pm (starts rubbing his eyes when he is tired) his behavior doesn't go downhill nearly as quickly when there is a problem.

Archived