I'm eating dairy....anyone else?

gem

O.K So you might say that doing the whole 30 but NOT eliminating dairy is in fact NOT the whole 30. I realy love cheese, like cheese means the differance between choking down eggs and enjoying them. My "plan" is to do a round of whole 30 with dairy....not a lot of dairy just cheese where I need it and whey protein powder. If I can get through 30 days with a little cheese added maybe I can do another round and eliminate all dairy. Anyone else doing this?

• Moderators

I love cheese too. But I managed to go 30 days (and even more) without it -- turns out, there are seasonings other than cheese that are also tasty. And if you can only eat eggs with cheese, just don't eat eggs. Plenty of people do a whole30 without eating a single egg. 

I'd really encourage you to actually commit a real Whole30, one without dairy. You can definitely do it, if you just decide you really want to. 

O.K So you might say that doing the whole 30 but NOT eliminating dairy is in fact NOT the whole 30.

There's no easing into a Whole 30.    You need to go  Cold Turkey with cheese and dairy.

You can't baby step it here because it's either all in or you're actually doing your own program.

It's not gradual but firm from the beginning with the rules, recommendations and following the template.  The program is still firm about no paleo pancakes, SWYPO's or monkey salad as the main entree for breakfast.  

Several years ago, it was tougher.  Are you ready for a change.  You only need 30 compliant days and then you can add your dairy back after a reintro.  You might find the reason you are so attracted and drawn to dairy is because your body is actually craving the very thing it is the most sensitive and or allergic to.   Cold Turkey.  No sneaking up on it.   

I guess I'm coming from a different place. I don't want to do the whole 30 I want to do the whole forever. So I don't plan on eating like this for 30 days then reintroducing food that has made me sick for years. I have never in my life been able to stick to a diet longer then a week. Infact I did the  whole 30 before and only lasted about 7 dats then I went on a 3 month binge. It's not like I'm eating sugar and I'm well aware of the opiate effect cheese/dairy has on our brain. I am a food addict. I sit in front of pizza and feel like I can't live without it. I wasn't trying to confuse any whole 30'rs. This has been very effective for me, to do the whole 30 to the T.....except a little cheese works better for me. And maybe it would help others that have the same issue I do.  I would appreciate if you moved my post back to were it was. Isn't this forum designed to help each other? 

I guess I'm coming from a different place. I don't want to do the whole 30 I want to do the whole forever. So I don't plan on eating like this for 30 days then reintroducing food that has made me sick for years. I have never in my life been able to stick to a diet longer then a week. Infact I did the  whole 30 before and only lasted about 7 dats then I went on a 3 month binge. It's not like I'm eating sugar and I'm well aware of the opiate effect cheese/dairy has on our brain. I am a food addict. I sit in front of pizza and feel like I can't live without it. I wasn't trying to confuse any whole 30'rs. This has been very effective for me, to do the whole 30 to the T.....except a little cheese works better for me. And maybe it would help others that have the same issue I do.  I would appreciate if you moved my post back to were it was. Isn't this forum designed to help each other? 

It is, yes. But to keep a log in the Whole30 section when you're not actually doing a Whole30 would be confusing to any newbies. So, sorry but no, it can't be moved back to that section. Rules are rules.

There is a section called 'Your post Whole30 Log' where you could keep a log, and the fact that you'd be including off plan ingredients wouldn't be an issue.

The fact is that whatever way you look at it Whole30 + Dairy is NOT a Whole30. It's a Wholegem. Whether you do it for 30 days or forever.

Incidentally, the only way to break a food (or any) addiction is to remove the offending item.

• Moderators

Everyone's goal is (or ought to be) to do the wholeforever, using the information they learn from doing a Whole30 and reintroductions to determine what works best for them. I think you've misunderstood what reintroductions are about, though. You don't just add back in all the foods you used to eat and continue eating them. You add in foods individually, in a controlled way, and see how you, personally, react to them. Then you use that information to decide when/if you eat those foods in the future. You may not have any reaction at all to dairy and decide to include it going forward. Or you might find that you feel better without it most of the time and decide to only have it on occasions where it's really worth it, or you might even find it makes you feel so awful it's never worth it for you. Many people find that things they've eaten all their lives actually make them feel awful, they just never knew it before because they'd never removed those items from their diet for any period of time to see how much better they felt without them.

For an example of how eating this way forever could work, you could read the Dear Melissa: How Do You Eat? series: part one, part two, part three.  Your way of eating may end up being different than her way of eating, but hopefully it helps explain how she came to decide which things she's okay with having and which things she isn't.

• Moderators

If you would like me to move your post to the Post Whole30 Logs I'm happy to do that for you.  This forum definitely is here to help each other, we just want to make sure that there's no confusion for new people coming along. 

I 100% get the reintroduction. I cut out nitrates years ago and get a raging headache if I eat something now that contains nitrates. I get it all I bought the book and reading it for the second time. I'm doing the whole 30 because I'm so addicted to sugar & grains....milk not so much. For people wanting to see how they react to food yes the whole 30 for 30 days then reintroduce. I am desperate to stop my cravings and I was starting this way for ME!!! I posted on the forum because I didn't know if anyone else has taken a similar approach I understand what the moderators are for but you guys are like the whole 30 police, you all are ridiculous get a life. :angry:  ​ ​

I like this forum because it's moderated. I think the moderators have you on the right path and are only trying to help. And they are the police, that's their role here :)

You asked initially if anyone else eats dairy, I do but I'm post-Whole30. I don't eat it during a Whole30 though as it's a rule of the program. But I find that when I re-introduce dairy I don't have allergy or lactose intolerance symptoms, rather I get food addiction and craving type symptoms specifically when I eat cheese. Cheese and sugar are the only foods that does that to me. So my personal post-Whole30 rule is to use dairy (mostly home made yogurt and kefir, then minimal cheese) only in a recipe when it's not an isolated ingredient. So as a curry sauce, for example, and not a topping melted on eggs or potatoes or a burger. 

Your posts have words like addiction, craving, needing, can't eat without it, desperate...that's a sign that dairy is having an addictive effect on you. Probably like it does me -- there's just something about dairy. In my experience, the more we fight having to give something up and find reasons to justify it -- the more of a hold it has on us. So maybe the reintroduction part isn't what's important for you, but maybe finding an alternative for the cheese is? That could be a goal of your Whole30. 

Gem it sounds like you've already learned so much about what certain foods do to you, like the nitrates. If you're looking to do a full-on Whole30, all we're encouraging you to do is take one more step and try no dairy for 30 days. You also said in your first post that you'd be willing to try a dairy-free Whole30? I say go for it and give it a try. 

Hope I understood you correctly!

• Moderators

I 100% get the reintroduction. I cut out nitrates years ago and get a raging headache if I eat something now that contains nitrates. I get it all I bought the book and reading it for the second time. I'm doing the whole 30 because I'm so addicted to sugar & grains....milk not so much. For people wanting to see how they react to food yes the whole 30 for 30 days then reintroduce. I am desperate to stop my cravings and I was starting this way for ME!!! I posted on the forum because I didn't know if anyone else has taken a similar approach I understand what the moderators are for but you guys are like the whole 30 police, you all are ridiculous get a life. :angry:  ​ ​

We do not host discussions on the main boards of eating plans that are not Whole30.  We are happy to host the discussion in the after Whole30 section.  You can imagine the mess that it would make and the confusion for new people just staring out if even 20 people started threads on their Whole+plus in the main boards.  We keep the main boards perfectly adhered to the rules so that anyone coming along can read posts and not have to worry that there are off plan suggestions, recipes and foods.  I'm sure you understand that.

You're welcome to continue posting in this thread or if you would prefer to start a post whole30 log in the After whole30 section, we would be happy to host you there as well.  

I used to eat Greek yogurt every morning for breakfast, with fresh fruit and granola. Every morning. Because I loved it, and it was delicious and high in protein. Never questioned it. I was curious as to what I was going to do when I did a W30, and not have yogurt. I enjoyed cheese from time to time, but Greek yogurt was a staple.

I started my W30 on 2/22/16, and was surprised to find I didn't actually need the dairy. In fact, as it turns out, dairy causes bloating and gas for me. So... it has become one of those things I continue to avoid. I will eat it if something presents itself (like outstanding ice cream), but for the most part, we're done. Same for grains and legumes.

Good luck, Gem. What worked for me was knowing that all the food I eat is a conscious choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to eat Greek yogurt every morning for breakfast, with fresh fruit and granola. Every morning. Because I loved it, and it was delicious and high in protein. Never questioned it. I was curious as to what I was going to do when I did a W30, and not have yogurt. I enjoyed cheese from time to time, but Greek yogurt was a staple.

I started my W30 on 2/22/16, and was surprised to find I didn't actually need the dairy. In fact, as it turns out, dairy causes bloating and gas for me. So... it has become one of those things I continue to avoid. I will eat it if something presents itself (like outstanding ice cream), but for the most part, we're done. Same for grains and legumes.

Good luck, Gem. What worked for me was knowing that all the food I eat is a conscious choice.

Thank You I agree.

Archived