Mayo

rk4810

Whats the difference between Whole30 Approved, homemade mayo and regular mayo? I looked up how to make regular mayo and whole30 approved and they look the same to me, other than the fact that regular is just yolks not the whole egg. Unless I'm missing something. (I just made the whole30 mayo and its delicious! )

I know what is in my homemade mayo (egg, light olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and mustard powder).

Most purchased mayos use a blend of cheap oil, like seed oils (possibly mixed with an olive oil), and other chemicals (not approved). I live in Canada, and do not have access to some of the "approved" products listed on the blog (so I can't comment).

I'm not sure I understand your question. Any mayo that doesn't have any off plan ingredients is ok for a Whole30. There is probably a recipe in the Whole30 book (I've not read my copy yet TBH) but it isn't the only recipe. There are lots of different ways to make mayo. Mine is super simple and no fuss so I don't usually look at other mayo recipes.

A lot of non-Whole30 mayo recipes will use a vegetable or seed oil because of the neutral flavor. I took a quick look at the ingredients label of an organic store-bought mayo "made with olive oil" and here were the ingredients:

Organic expeller pressed soy and/or canola oil, organic whole eggs, organic egg yolks, organic extra virgin olive oil, filtered water, organic honey, organic distilled vinegar, sea salt, organic mustard (organic distilled vinegar, water, organic mustard seeds, salt, organic spices), organic lemon juice concentrate

W30 approved mayo/homemade is made with compliant ingredients.

Generally, supermarket mayo has stuff like really random oils, sugar, and an assortment of preservatives and other stuff our body doesn't need.

I looked at my "clean" mayo the other day to see if it was whole30 approved and Lo and behold, sugar. -.- but it IS possible to buy mayo that is compliant (I believe primal kitchens and tessamae's make compliant mayo, BUT double check) if making mayo isn't your thing.

• Leanna
    I see that it says everywhere that I should make my own Mayonnaise, but I found this trader Joe’s REAL MAYONNAISE.

Ingredients: Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Whole Eggs, Apple Cider Vinegar, Egg Yolks, Water, Salt, Spices, Lemon Juice Concentrate.

•  
    Can I eat this?
  •  

• Leanna
    I see that it says everywhere that I should make my own Mayonnaise, but I found this trader Joe’s REAL MAYONNAISE.

Ingredients: Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Whole Eggs, Apple Cider Vinegar, Egg Yolks, Water, Salt, Spices, Lemon Juice Concentrate.

•  
    Can I eat this?
  •  

Canola is one of those oils that's only reluctantly allowed when you're eating out. So I'd skip this and make your own.  :)

• Moderators

• Leanna

•  
    Can I eat this?
  •  

Hey there.  Please don't cross post to multiple threads/forums.  I've answered your question on your other thread.

• Moderators

What about the Primal Kitchen mayo made with avacado oil? Is that whole 30 friendly?

Please read the label on the item that you are going to be ingesting. Manufacturers can change their recipes without notice and from region to region... even 'paleo' companies... read the label everytime you purchase packaged foods.

I made some mayo with avocado oil for the first time recently. I have to say, I actually threw out what we didn't eat at dinner. Light olive oil is the way to go on Whole30 for me! (my person favorite is peanut oil but that's obviously not happening right now...)

I was always told never to eat raw eggs because of the risk of food poisoning. Is this something anyone else has encountered?

Food poisoning from eggs isn't very likely if the eggs come from a good source: basically it's the crowded industrial farming conditions that create this risk, so pastured eggs are much less likely to have salmonella. That said, if you are worried about it you could skip it, or compromise by using pasteurized (and pastured!) eggs.

I made some mayo with avocado oil for the first time recently. I have to say, I actually threw out what we didn't eat at dinner. Light olive oil is the way to go on Whole30 for me! (my person favorite is peanut oil but that's obviously not happening right now...)

What kind of avocado oil did you use?

Food poisoning from eggs isn't very likely if the eggs come from a good source: basically it's the crowded industrial farming conditions that create this risk, so pastured eggs are much less likely to have salmonella. That said, if you are worried about it you could skip it, or compromise by using pasteurized (and pastured!) eggs.

Anyone tried the all-in-one method for making the mayo?

It's so easy and takes seconds - no more drizzling!

You need a stick blender, and a tallish narrowish container.   A recycled large-size bought-mayo jar works well, then you can store it in the fridge - saves washing up ;)  

Put everything in at once, but make sure you put your egg in first.   I must admit I use compliant cider vinegar instead of the lemon juice.

Put the stick blender head right down the bottom of your container so it's in the egg.   Turn it on let it whip the eggy bit for a few seconds, then slowly draw it up the mixture whizzing away as you go.   Move it up and down slowly a few times until the oil is all blended in and the mixture is thick.  Can repeat the process adding another egg yolk if it's still a bit thin for your taste - it's usually thick enough though.

I've only ever had one fail with this method, and I've made it a lot over the years.  It even works with eggs straight out of the fridge, I can never wait for them to warm up :D

Archived