Fructose Intolerant, bloating and gas

I've been following the Whole30 stories for a while now and read both books, but still very scared to start.

The reason why i do want to start my Whole30 is to get my body back into balance. I struggle from bloating and gas for many years now and due to family stress, my hormones are a complete mess.

Time for a change!

But due to my fructose intolerant i am not allowed to eat lots of fruits (which isn't a problem), but vegetables do cause trouble, as well as nuts, seeds, avocado.

Anyone else familiar with this problem and what do you eat to stay full and satisfied and get all the right nutrients?

Thanks!! Petra 

Hi Petra

There is a >shopping list< for folks needing to follow a low FODMAP diet, and you may find >this infographic/article< useful - I follow a low FODMAP diet myself and eat primarily from the green section only...

I'm currently going through the reintroduction of some of the higher FODMAP foods one at a time with a good amount of success, having eaten this way for some time.

You could also consider adding in a probiotic in the form of kombucha - great for gut healing.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your reply! I've seen the list and will definitely use it. Although some "blue vegetables" like tomatoes and kale give trouble - the rest is very helpful. Thank you! So desperately want to get rid of that bloat!!

Thank you so much for your reply! I've seen the list and will definitely use it. Although some "blue vegetables" like tomatoes and kale give trouble - the rest is very helpful. Thank you! So desperately want to get rid of that bloat!!

This is why I like the traffic light system lists on the other link I posted.

I'm fine with kale on it's own, but if I add in broccoli I'm in trouble.

I'm also good with cherry tomatoes, but some other larger varieties are not so good. I have to eat dishes with a tomato based sauce in moderation.

I ate off of the green list very successfuly, and without food boredom for around 6mths, then I started adding the fructans back in - one food at a time in the same we recommend carrying out the reintros for excluded food groups on Whole30. I had pretty good success with most of those. I'm currenlty working my way through the polyols - this isn't  going just so well - but I've still broadened my foods from what they were so I'm okay with that.

You could also take a look at (or download the app from) the Monash University - they calculate how big a serving of high FODMAP foods should be okay for those who are intolerant, and they are constantly carrying out research & updating their website.

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

Everyone is different - it just takes a little experimentation to find what ultimately works for you.

I don't have much trouble with FODMAPs but I have trouble with a few kinds of kale (I think it's just too rough to digest sometimes).

We get a couple of different varieties here:

• Curly Kale (this is usually a silvery green and not dark)
  • Purple Kale (this looks much like the one above but with a blush of purple)
  • Tuscan Kale (aka cavolo nero)
  • Baby Kale (this is young kale of any variety, like baby spinach)

I have trouble with anything that's not baby kale or Tuscan kale and even the Tuscan one can be a big rough if it's really giant in size. I can't eat any of it completely raw.

I think it's the tough ribs I have trouble digesting and I think if they are in my stomach too long it gets irritated (no gas, just feels like there's stuff in my stomach that won't come out). Cooked well they are all better but some of the ribs don't get very soft at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived